Diamond tools

In a pile of discarded punch blanks, I found a few "diamond tools". These are relatively short round shanks, roughly 1/2x2 inch, with a ~2mm diamond embedded in the end.

I know that these are useful for wheel dressing, but is there any other use of them? Are they useful for cutting glass?

Reply to
Ignoramus3107

No doubt you could dress them to a point and cut glass with them, but the diamonds are pretty crude and might crumble. They do a dandy job of dressing alumina wheels, though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Relative hardness testing. Make a dimple with it using a force on an unknown sample and compare the same force dimple made in various known samples.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Solid shaft are used for side cutting. Hollow shafts (or end) are core cutters.

2mm is rather short for most things. Side cutting of 2mm or 1mm thick Copper or what ever is rare. Try to do a search on MSC - see what they sell the product for. They might be pcb routing or panel cutting units.

Might be useful in making name plates or face plates.

Martin

Mart> In a pile of discarded punch blanks, I found a few "diamond

Martin H. Eastburn

Don't dismiss wheel dressing too quickly.

You like to weld on occasion. Welders and anglegrinders go together like peanutbutter and jelly. I'm tawkin' fitup of course, not that either of us would ever need to grind a weld ...

I discovered fairly recently that dressing an anglegrinder wheel can make an absolutely amazing difference in performance. This includes even the best wheels sold at my welding store. Things seem to be slowing down some, I give the wheel a quick rake with a diamond and the spark shower triples immediately hoo ah! I guess even the best wheels can glaze if leaned on hard enough, dressing off the glaze gets 'em cutting like they should.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Hey, I learned something. Don't happen often anymore. I think I'll try a wheel dresser though. Maybe compare to a diamond.

Karl "who does grind his welds" Townsend

Reply to
Karl Townsend

The standard diamond for that purpose is polished to a specific angle cone, with a specific radius tip. And the usual practice is to apply 5kg of force, zero the penetration meter, increase the force to a specific value (which varies depending on the scale used), and then back the force back down to 5kg and measure how far into the test sample the point has moved. This is for several of the Rockwell hardness tests, including the Rockwell C test.

there are some of the Rockwell tests which use a ball bearing of a specific diameter instead, but the principle of use is similar. This is more likely to be used for testing brass or something similar instead of steel.

So -- if your diamonds are sharpened to a cone shape, with a radiused tip, then they are probably used for such testing (but these usually have a shoulder some distance behind the tip, while the stone dressing ones don't, and are not likely to have nice smooth cones, either. But they still could be used for comparative tests, even so. And you can buy hardness standards used for checking the calibration of the Rockwell hardness testers.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I even admit to, gasp, grinding bad welds!!!

Good idea Don. I tried one of them and was amazed at how these diamond stand up to the wheels.

Reply to
Ignoramus30765

re relatively short round shanks, roughly 1/2x2 inch,

contact: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.cn

Reply to
lightliuuser