Canadian machinery dealers

Hi All,
Does anyone have some good links to dealers in Canada? I'm interested in a
lathe but am wary of freight costs and import crap to get one in from the
US.
Does anyone have a Force machine

If so how are they?
Thanks,
Jason
Reply to
Jason Andersen
Try
have been dealing with this outfit for some time and they are good. In my opinion the 'House of Tools' is somewhat overpriced. I have no knowledge about the 'Force' line. Usual disclaimer.
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Davey
You could try the Canadian version of Grizzly Tools, Busy Bee. Their version of that combo machine is here:
Pete
Reply to
Pete Snell
You might give the folks at Akhurst Machinery a call. Although primarily a new machinery supplier I know they also sell used machinery where and when available. I believe they have offices in almost all provinces. You can find them at
.
My dealings with them were always from a service/new machinery sales position (we built machinery which they represented in Canada) however I've never gotten any bad feedback about them from mutual service customers.
dennis in nca
Reply to
rigger
Canada is a big place.
Where are you?
NFG if I give you leads in Vancouver if you're in Halifax.
The Force Lathes are mainland Chinese (as are just about any of the machines that are available new), and the quality in general gets better as the size goes up. KBC, House of Tools, and Busy Bee are all selling similar machines, so shop price. Even Princess Auto is selling the 7x12 Minilathe, these days.
How big are you wanting, and what do you want to do?
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
youre looking at a lot MORE hassle staying canadian if its a non-local purchase
Its easier to go near you on the US side and pay the freight and GST on a machine coing up fron near you to the south than to go right across the country
If youre in ontario you'd only be interested in ontario and quebec its far more to ship form the west or east coast or prairies than it is to look in NY state or Michigan
Ditto the logic if youre on the west coast. Way Cheaper to get a machine up form Washington or Oregon than Ontario
even companies like KBC tools list FOB points on their heavy stuff and you pay shipping based on where it went FOB
Telling us where in canada you are would help
Brent Ottawa
Jas> Hi All,
Brent
Ken,
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out for sure.
Jason
Reply to
Jason Andersen
Thanks for the link Pete. Have you used this machine?
Jason
Reply to
Jason Andersen
Thanks for the input Dennis. I'll check them out as well.
Jason
Reply to
Jason Andersen
Hi Trevor,
Canada IS a big place! :) I'm in Eastern Alberta, bout half way up North.
The 7x12 or there about is what I'm after to start with. I'm looking to do some light hobby stuff, nothing too serious.
Jason
Reply to
Jason Andersen
Hi Brent,
Like I mentioned in the Post to Trevor, I'm located near the Alberta - Sask border about half way up. Lloydminster area to be exact.
So shipping out of the south would still have a fair ways to come to get to me.
Jason
Reply to
Jason Andersen
Sort of. The race team I was working for on weekends had one in their shop. (I think theirs was the House of Tools version). Did a small turning job on it, and it worked alright. It ain't a Colchester or Hardinge, etc, but it did what I asked of it with no problems. A friend bought the same one and is just getting it set up.
Pete
Reply to
Pete Snell
Well in that case you can check these guys out . Two Alta branches and lots of good new and used commercial stuff . I would take their prices and flexible if it was me ;-) . Ken Cutt
Reply to
Ken Cutt
I'm in Cold Lake.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
This might help
Ken Cutt
I know of a 12" Atlas, really well tooled in Regina, I think theres still a South Bend 9" in Rimbey availabe, and I have a 10 x 36 Rockwell on a kickass shopbuilt stand, out in my garage, here in Cold Lake.
There are others around, too, if you dig. I know some guys, that know other guys... Jungle drums stuff.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
You call Cold lake 'about halfway up north!? I was there this summer; nice place.
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Davey
Oops! Replied to wrong post. Lloydminster is about half way up.
Ken.
Reply to
Ken Davey
Well, if you fold an Alberta map in half, and run your eyes along the Eastern edge, I think you'll find it to be very near halfway north.
What were you in the 'hood for? Flag?
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
Naahhh!
Lloyd's only 40 percent of the way north!
:-)
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones