Carousel Mechanism

A friend of the wife who does a lot of machine embroidery recently purchased plans for a 12" carousel. She has been looking for a mechanism to power it (think music box mechanism?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on where to find such a device?

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

If it doesn't have to be spring powered I'd think about scrounging around the surplus houses for a line voltage operated "timing motor", they were made in many snail paced rotational speeds. The bearings and shafts in them are strong enough so that you could directly rest a reasonably well balanced lightweight mini carousel right on it.

They used to Be $12 items new, but I guess the transition to electronic timing of everything has turned them into "replacement items" these days, because I just Googled around and some manufacturers are showing list prices above $100 for them now, Shoosh!.

But, H&R has a 10 RPM one which might fill the bill if wifey will accept line powering her carousel:

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

What speed, what load, is electric OK? I see stuff like this every now and then at AxMan surplus -- including music box mechanisms.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I think I remember Surplus Center having some watch display case mechanisms. I don't see it on their site though. Might be worth giving them a call.

Here are some nice new ones
$spindb.query.theme.tdview.40.google.commercial_display_motors bottom of the page, $65

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

The big box hobby shops, Michael's and Hobby Lobby around here, stock music box mechanisms with various tunes. Pick one, bolt it in.

Reply to
Fred R

Go to Goodwill and get an electric can opener and pull the motor out of it. The last one I got cost me $2...

Or the motor from an electric alarm clock - $.75 for the last one I bought...

Or even a music box, I think I saw one for about $4, but it was a wind up one...

Reply to
Emmo

Microwave turntable motor? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Try Surplus Center, or a bar-b-que rotisserie.

Reply to
Tony

Today, AxMan had 11.4 RPM and 4.8 RPM motors, one was $3 and the other $3.95. There were others (like 1 RPH) as well....

No spring-run motors today.

If you'd like one of these, zing me an email and I'll pick one up for you. Figure another 3 bux or so for USPS postage.

Reply to
Don Foreman