LF: electro-mechanical (butterlfy?) valve

I'm looking for an off-the-shelf, or easy-to-build-from-parts solution here.

I need to build a system with a valve (butterfly valve is fine, approx

1 inch opening required, does not have to be water proof, or have any real heavy resistance), that when given an electrical charge, will open and allow a product to pass through (assume gravity or some other force will power the feeding part), and then return closed (or possibly revolve completely around and stop at the closed point) when the charge is removed.

I've found some terrific electronic valves, but they seem designed for water/pressurized systems, and are quite expensive (say 200-500 or more dollars!). If anyone has ever seen a project or device similar to what I'm looking for (or plans to build something like this out of common parts), for a REASONABLE price (lets say this isn't going to make me a dime, but it'd be a fun project), please let me know where I can find such a thing.

I have already have a software design in place to run the relays that will power the device, and have the rest of the distribution system figured out, but still need this piece of the system to complete it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

af

Reply to
Arcade Freaque

how about an automotive emergency fuel shutoff valve?

Reply to
TimPerry

A valve implies that the product is a liquid. Is that true? The flipper mechanism from a pinball machine could be used to gate a solid product; something similar to the solenoid in a dishwasher or clothes washer or sprinkler system would handle liquid. Aside from the cost, is there something about a vale designed for a water/pressurized system that makes it a no-go for what you have in mind?

Reply to
ehsjr

What about a windscreen wiper motor from an auto wreckers, set it up as they have on the wipers, a bar connecting to the output of the motor, and a connecting rod to valve, as the bar connected to the motor output swings thru 0 - 180 the connecting rod pushes the valve open, and as the motor swings thru 180 -360 it pulls the valve shut again.

As far as I know, some of those wiper motors actually have a set of contacts inside which could be used as some sort of feedback for your circuit.

Reply to
ZForce

Thanks for the replies, you guys got me thinking outside the box now (finally!)

The product is not liquid, but a "valve" was the only thing that I could think of without your suggestions. I cannot believe that I didn't think of pinball flipper/coils given that I have access to so many of them! Of course I could launch the product with a coil driven "bumper" too, but I think I will stick with gravity for now ;)

I think I'm going to take another approach first though and see if I can attach a round disc with a hole in it to the end of a motor so that the motor will turn and allow the product to drop through and will then turn off with feedback from another switch that is either triggered by the product flow or by a notch on the outside of the disc (got this idea from thinking about how my pop machine dispenses soda using a series of notches and a switch to figure out when the can has been dispensed).

Thanks for the ideas! That really got me looking in other directions that should prove usable!

Reply to
Arcade Freaque