central vac plumbing

Is there any reason not to use 2" abs pipe and fitting for plumbing in my central vac system? The pipe and fittings are cheaper and much more readily available.

Reply to
habbi

If the radius of the turns is large enough, _I_ can't think of a reason not to.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You might want to run the loss calculations first to see how much vaccuum you will be losing with that small of a diameter ductwork.

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
cvairwerks

habbi

I use 2 inch abs pipe in my two central vacuum systems. The pipe thats designed for the vacuum tubing is better than abs. If $$ is an influence on which you use, abs might be preferable. I'd also advise you dont glue the joints so you can disassemble it to clear any clogs. One reason the expensive tubing is better is because of the thinner material. The thinness produces less of a stepping down of the ID at the connections with the expensive tube. You could champher the inside edges of the abs at joints to remove that "too big step" that abruptedly reduces the tube's ID, where some colected junk gets stuck.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

All good ideas.

Another thing you can do if you have a vertical rise is to install a "trap" at the horizontal/vertical bend.

That is make the bend a tee (one-way curved tee) and add a short straight section downward below the vertical rise. Fit this with a removable cap.

Anything that won't go up the vertical rise will fall down into the trap and can be removed occasionally.

Better to avoid a vertical rise but sometimes it's unavoidable (especially if you're in the basement tapping into the household CV and the power unit is in the garage).

Reply to
WoofWoof

Reply to
habbi

Just a suggestion... If you use a plastic pipe of any kind for a vac system, run a bare copper wire (any size) through it and ground the wire to drain off any static charges that might build up from causing a spark that might lead to an explosion/fire. This is especially important if you are using it with any woodworking tools (dry dust can blow pretty good...).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Just a suggestion...

It would be a good idea to run a grounded bare copper wire through any run of plastic pipe used in a vac system. This is to drain off any static charges and reduce the chance of a spark that may cause an explosion/fire. This is especially true if you use the system with woodworking tools (dry dust can blow pretty good...).

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster