Chainsaw chain sharpening

That was not the focus of my reply but.

Several reasons why the saw wants to cut 'in a circle'. Tag a rock or a nail and do more damage to one side of the chain than the other. Worn bar. Improper sharpening. Sharpening (by hand) takes practice. Unless the technique is severely bad the 'cuts on one side' thing won't show up until after several sharpenings. Then the only thing to do is re-sharpen in a jig or hand the job off to a sharpening shop.

Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Oh yes! About 30 years back when Dutch elm disaease killed nearly all our elms, I had two dead elms on my patch , each over 5 feet in diameter - what an absolute b*stard they were. I ended up cutting them into blocks with a chainsaw - I lost count of the number of times I sharpened, & must have got through 3 chains. I remember my mate coming over with hius Kubota diesel mini tractor (about 18hp) which was fitted with a splitter driven by the PTO. It consisted of a table with an enormous woodscrew about 4 in diameter which wound itself into the blocks. We had to pilot drill with a 3/4" hole before it would look at them & we finally gave up when a block jammed on it & stalled the tractor!!! I had to chainsaw the block off the splitter! I let the second one rot on the ground for 20 years & burned it in situ.

jrlloyd

Elm has interlocking grain, kind of like the toy chinese fingercuffs, which makes it an absolute bitch to split. This made it the perfect wood to use for wagon wheel hubs in days past.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Wasn't the saw that did it Chuck...it was a foundry and something to do with being a loader on a five inch gun and a pointer/trainer on a 40MM "ack ack"....90% loss of the high end.

Reply to
granpaw