Opinions on chainsaw chain?

I am going to buy some chainsaw chain, of the TCT tipped variety. I have some already, and love the stuff, so that's OK.

However, there is a product called Inject-a-Sharp, that has a normal chain with deposited TC chiplets emebedded in something on the cutters.

Has anyone used it? I would see it as an adjunct to full TCT, in better conditions, not as a replacement.

Thanks for any help

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

I have a few of the tipped carbide chains floating around here since my days of cutting trees, and they have all given great service. I read about the chain with embeded TC on them, but have not used it personally. I think other than just prolonging the overall cutters a bit so they do not get rounded over, I think it would dull up much quicker than a fully tooth carbide tipped chain. I could also see small particles of resin and junk possibly reducing the overall cutting action as compared to a full toothed cutter. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:28:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Roy) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Oh Crikey! I agree with _that_! TCT is _the_ MAN for keeping on cutting in shit wood. It costs near as much as the damn saw, but it's like _doubling_ the saw!

Actually, it's weird and a trap. It will keep cutting when blunted, but this stresses the chassis of the chain. With the cost per link being so high, it's something you have to watch.

As I said, the coated stuff would be used in the areas where wood was a bit greener and there was less grit.

I guess my question is "Are these better than a normal Oregon hard steel tip for semi-tough conditions?"

I find that if I cut logs, with termite and dust, normal chain will dull and even start cutting crooked after maybe one or two passes, (or sometime halfway through a log) with a bar-mounted sharpening system. In wet hardwood, normal chain is OK. In dry, clean, hardwood, it is not lasting that tankful that I would like to see before I have to touch up again.

Our local marri wood must be pure silica. You can feel it dulling a cut! It is used for woodworking projects, and is light and tough when dry. But I always knew it was bitch on tools from woodworking it. I really think its main increase in popularity is because we are running out of jarrah (the REAL local hardwood).

HAH! Resin!? This stuff's old fallen hardwood! We're not talking pine here!

Actually, the redgum (marri), exudes a red gum (get it?). When felled and cut while still fresh, it is very disconcerting. It bleeds! No crap! This stuff flows, looks and congeals like blood, by the pint.

For a while I went "green" for a completely different reason!........or for both reasons. It was sort of like hearing a carrot scream as you diced it.

Seriously, there were a couple of times when I looked like something out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre!