Cheap timing pulleys and belts for CNC

Where can a guy get the above these days? These things at SDP and MMC are costing more than the servo motors I'm using.

Reply to
oparr

You can scour eBay for months. I got quite an assortment for pennies on a dollar. Problem is, they're not the ones you want. Too many variables: pitch, diameter, width, bore, etc. Best to design properly and pay full price, but once.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You can make your own. Its quite a job. I needed a special one I couldn't find. I think it took two days to make two of them, THEN I found out you can buy timing pulley stock and cut off the length you need.

To the OP, McMaster Carr has been my source.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Shoot, I was in Gunner's back yard once and he had some kind of container, musta been a cubic yard of timing pulleys and belts! I think he threw it all away eventually, way too much to go through. At that time, it would have paid really well to just go to his house and camp out for a month doing nothing but listing stuff on ebay and going to the post office.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Anyone tried a mold/casting approach for "plastic" pulleys?

Reply to
oparr

Came across a Hubbard CNC on Ebay but as you implied, choices are limited to what's available. I suspect this is just another reason why direct drive stepper systems are so popular...No belt and pulleys to worry about.

Reply to
oparr

It's a Catch-22. You'd need a mold, which requires a pattern. You could use another pulley if you have one, but then you wouldn't need to make one. Or, you could make a pattern, but that would be as much work as making a pulley. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt