Chrome plating and Calcium Remover

I let the calcium-encrusted chrome plated hardware from my 1940-vintage
tub soak in a solution called "Calcium Lime & Rust Stain Remover". Most
of the calcium came off in a matter of 30 minutes or so, and there was
no other damage, so I decided to let it soak for a few hours to get
really clean.
Unfortunately, when I came back, the chrome was discolored to a light
copper tint.
The active ingredients in this solution are hydrochloric acid and
sulfamic acid. Does anyone know how to get the chrome back to its
original color?
Thanks
Reply to
Andrew Taylor
HCl acid permanently stains chromium ("chrome" plating, stainless steel). Prognosis negative.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch
You could try a Crome stripping solution then replate with nickel and then crome
Reply to
John
Find a good plating shop. They will strip off the chrome (acid bath) and replate. It's not expensive.
RB
Andrew Taylor wrote:
Reply to
RB
OK, thanks sounds like a good idea. Appreciate everyone's help. -Andrew
RB wrote:
Reply to
Andrew Taylor
soaking in vinegar and a little scraping with something wood or otherwise softer than the chrome so you dont scratch it, will usually take care of minerals, and i havent had it hurt any of my chrome...
randy
Reply to
xrongor