CNC Homeshop Machining With A FADAC UMC10

I have heard some good things about MadCam. The 3 axis module sells for under $1000, but you need to own Rhino also.

jim

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:a218d1d5-5cbc- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

HAH! I was right! It's all three!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

That is not all that affects accuracy. Even if you have the time and computational power and storage capacity to produce g-code files with millions of data points there is still the question of whether your CNN can fluidly move to all those data points and cut the part to within .0001".

If you had a machine that could do that it is unlikely you would be using CamBam.

If you are making fishing lures and the end product conforms to the original CAD surface geometry to less than

0.002" then you are doing exceptionally good job.
Reply to
jim

jon_banquer fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You should have stopped at the word "shop". L

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The issue with producing toolpaths from meshes is not entirely about accuracy. 3d surface cutting usually requires a ton of point to point tool moves to cut the part. Ideally, at the micro level each pass of the tool across the surface should be parallel to the last pass such that the tool is constantly removing about the same amount of material. To do this with point to point moves, each point to point move in one pass should line up with the point to point moves of the previous and next pass. Creating tool moves from well constructed meshes is a way of making sure the point to point moves in each pass match up to the moves in neighboring passes.

In most cases when the CAM software people tell you that they create toolpaths from surface data what they mean is that an ideal mesh is created that is aligned with the projected motion of the tool across the surface. If you set the toolpath tolerance parameters loose enough you will still be able to see in the surface finish the underlying mesh pattern.

Reply to
jim

I was not really trying to quibble over any of this. Lloyd just mentioned my 3D work with CamBam and since he has actually helped me with useful and practical information in the past I figured I'ld step in and tell you guys what CamBam does and how it functions in my experience. I doubt many of us personally own a machine capable of accuracy and repeatability of a tenth. Even with a machine that has accuracy and repeatability of a 1 thou it would be difficult to attain reasonable material removal rates without cutter deflection and/or machine rigidity becoming an issue. That's not even counting the accuracy of the end mill itself from one to the next. None of that was my point. I didn't really even try to make a point. I just wanted to clarify what and how CamBam does 3D since I have a little more experience using those features than Lloyd does. (I think)

I also said I am happy if I get within .0015 for most things. I didn't say I was always successful. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

In housing there are architectural issues with many changes, and there are economies of scale for being able to buy lumber packages exactly the same for 20 houses. Its just cheaper to build houses the same.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 09:57:48 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Yep. In "the old days" there would be a set of blueprints drawn up, and there were two models, one with the garage on the left, the other with it on the right, with the same cabinets, doors windows etc.. Now, with CAD software, you can have a basic house plan, which can be flipped left or right, and you can have any cabinet, window or door treatments - as long as it is in the menu of options. And the CAD packages make it "simple" to have a "custom" set of prints with all the options incorporated in the print, rather than as an add-on.

I recognize that I was griping about "cookie cutter" houses, all looking alike, and realized that this is not new. Nowadays, the builders/architects use the same design software, before that it was the "Book of House Plans" before that everybody had the same materials and there was but one way to make a house.

pyotr filipivich

Yeah, but its still cheaper to make them "the same." Less training. Trained assemblers instead of tradesmen. Standardized materials lists. etc etc...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:03:10 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Oh I have no doubts about that. "You can have any kind of countertop you want - as long as it is Granite."

pyotr filipivich

But... but... but... I like granite. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

'National Homes' built entire subdivisions after W.W.II with a single floor plan. Hundreds or thousands of them per project. The would lay forms for the foundation, and one week later it was ready to move into. All lumber arrived precut, as well as all the plumbing and wiring. They worked down each block, doing the same job over and over until all the lots had homes. My dad bought one when I was in elementary school, and sold it when I was in Jr. High. We added a bedroom to it, and it was the only one different for blocks.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Can the FADAC UMC10 machine 5 axis parts like a LinuxCNC machine can?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Alright, boys, let's all sing it (in horrible disharmony, as usual):

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky tacky,1 Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes all the same. There's a green one and a pink one And a blue one and a yellow one, And they're all made out of ticky tacky And they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses All went to the university, Where they were put in boxes And they came out all the same, And there's doctors and lawyers, And business executives, And they're all made out of ticky tacky And they all look just the same.

And they all play on the golf course And drink their martinis dry, And they all have pretty children And the children go to school, And the children go to summer camp And then to the university, Where they are put in boxes And they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business And marry and raise a family In boxes made of ticky tacky And they all look just the same. There's a green one and a pink one And a blue one and a yellow one, And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 18 Dec 2013

19:04:59 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"I'm upside down, my head is turning around Because I gotta sell the house in Levittown "

Say what we will about the "'burbs", it was the first time for a lot of families that they got to own the house. Even if it was with a long mortgage.

Here's To The Crabgrass

Here's to the crabgrass, Here's to the mortgage, In fact, here's to Suburbia. Lay down your briefcase, Far from the rat race, Where nothing can disturb ya.

Uncomplicated, It's what we waited For so long in this city. Come let us go there, Live like Thoreau there, A life of sweet simplicity.

Did you set the thermostat? No, I don't know where it's at. Tuesday the Cub Scouts meet again. Walk the dog and cut the grass, Take the kids to dancing class, Jim's Little League got beat again.

Can't keep a maid here, No matter what they're paid here, The place has bad publicity. Why did we move here? Don't you remember? To live in sweet simplicity.

Here's to mosquitos, Clam dip and Fritos, To golf and bridge and scuba there. Men wearing knee pants, Women in Capri pants, Discussing what's with Cuba there.

Each big appliance Treats you with defiance, Until it finally falls apart. Call the repairman, In a week he's there, man, To knock your kitchen walls apart.

Tommy's got a bloody nose, Gotta fix the garden hose. Book Of The Month Club came today. Didn't read the last one yet. Yes you did, but you forget. Oh well, they're all the same today.

Here's Mrs. Ritter, She's the baby sitter. Tonight we're going joyously Back to the city, Where life is gay and witty, Back to the noise there, That everyone enjoys there.

Back to the crush there, Hurry let us rush there, Back to the rat race, Don't forget your briefcase, Back in the groove there, Say why don't we move there. Away from all of this Sweet simplicity

pyotr filipivich

PrecisionmachinisT

It appears to be a company named Fives Machining Systems Inc.....There is a physical address listed on the website that is the same building that Fadal had previously operated out of.

"Fives Machining Systems, Inc. is a new business unit comprised of the recently acquired MAG Americas machine tool and composites companies which include Cincinnati, Giddings & Lewis and the aftermarket group, Global Services."

Maybe I'll give em a call, I've got a '91 4020 that's pretty sick and perhaps they'll take it as a trade-in.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

You didn't give Allan Sherman his due!

for the whole "My Son, the Nut" album. Because I'm not going to dig all the stuff out to rip the one song.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

"Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)" on Thu, 19 Dec 2013 22:44:46 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Sorry, I thought it was one of those "Everyone knows that". We had the LP, and I played it forever.

pyotr filipivich

Nevehoiduvim. I cringe remembering "Hello Muddah", but I was a real fan of Monty Python and Firesign Theater. I have several Firesign albums and still play them on occasion. The early ones, All Hail and We're All Bozos on this Bus.

Entering freeway, which is already in progress. Apple Valley Condoms. If you lived here, you'd be home by now.

Reply to
Larry Jaques