Constant pressure pump controller as speed control

I was at the scrap yard today and they have a bin with all kinds of pumps and the controller boxes. Some of the controllers have a lot of electronics and transformers or inductors inside. They are labeled as constant pressure controllers. Since I assume they vary the speed of the pump to keep the pressure constant. I wonder if the controller can be used as a speed controller for my lathe.

Anyone have experience with these devices

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

I would probably leave them alone for a VFD. More than likely the drive is dead and not the pump or motor.

Scott

Reply to
jano

It's more likely the pumps are variable volume piston pumps. The controller monitors delivery pressure and changes the angle of a swash plate that drives the pistons to maintain the pressure at the desired preset.

Reply to
news

Where are you? Im desperately looking for just that sort of pump. I need to deliver hydraulic oil at aconstant pressure but variable volume from zero gph to 20. c

Reply to
Ted Frater