Countersink problems in Aluminium

I have recently been having problems countersinking in 1/16th inch aluminum plate.

I am using a drill press. Instead of a nice round hole, I am getting a sort of hexagon shape.

I am using five edge countersink made by the Severance company.

I do not remember this sort of thing happening before.

Reply to
David

Try a single hole type countersink

Reply to
Tom Gardner

As Tom said, a single hole countersink may help. I much prefer them to the multiblade countersinks. I also find countersinks prone to chatter unless the speed is right. I usually end up slowing the speed when I get buggered up holes. Could the countersink be dull?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

What's a single hole cutter? Is this a cutter with a single cutting flute ??

Reply to
Bruce Johnson

single hole single hole single hole single hole

Reply to
yourname

Single flute?

Way slow, and use soap or paraffin to lubricate the countersink.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Lower the spindle speed.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

It's a cutter with a hole drilled through at at a diagonal creating, in effect, a single flute cutter. Look in the upper right of the first page and you'll see an example.

this:
Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

Or increase the feed. Or use a single flute cutter.

Or use a piloted countersink.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Thanks Peter

Reply to
Bruce Johnson

Thank you all for your suggestions. Will slow down, keep the pressure up and see if that improves before purchasing a single flute style.

Reply to
David