Craigslist Gloat

Didn't someone asked a while back if Craigslist was worthwhile? I'd say so....

4 hours of back breaking labor, and all three are safely tucked away in my shop now. Getting that finger brake up onto my 38" high work bench was not fun, the worst being getting it from my truck bed back onto it's stand which I used to drag it to the workbench.

And the seller threw in what I first dismissed as just a 'nice' little arbor press. Getting home, I noticed the Litton Industries logo cast into the side. Neat...

Now, for a cold brewski and a nice long hot shower!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

That's a good deal, Jon. Here's a nice shear I had to pass on up here ..

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Thanks! I thought it was a pretty good deal. Already have one of my customers looking for work for them to help me cover the purchase. I have a 6" wide DiAcro shear and a 12" DiAcro brake with one solid 'finger' that I'll be selling to help offset the new toys. Man, need a bigger shop... (but then, don't we all?? )

That is one NICE looking shear there! Too pricey, too big, or a combo? Looks like it's set up to allow slitting of longer sheets via the throat on the right side. That right there is a very handy feature.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Just as a followup about Craig's List... I previously sold everthing on eBay, with the exception of items too large to ship. So, just as a lark I began to use Craig's list for all large, local pickup only type items (plus I liked the fact that their is no listing fee or commission on sales). I've only been using it for the past 8-months, but in that time a sold a 1990 Ford Bronco (within 3 days), a garage full of pipe organ pipes, blowers and wind chests (5 days), and a number of other bulky or heavy times...and all at their asking price or nearly close to it.

I'm not preparing to list an 1100-lb. antique letterpress and a 23-ft,

4,000-lb sailboat and trailer on Craig's List for the same reason.

I still buy and sell quite often on eBay, but mostly mailable items.

Still, something I'm curious about: Without listing fees and comissions, how does Craig's List earn its profits?

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

I often wonder about that too.

Reply to
rustyjames

This is described on their site:

Q: How does craigslist support its operations? A: By charging below-market fees for job ads in 7 cities and for broker apartment listings in NYC.

Craigslist is beating the shit out of ebay, which now very often has nothing in response to what I'm searching for. Ebay's glory days are behind it. I believe it is their crummy policies that are to blame, along with their sky-high fees.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

They were once asked by a "stock analyst" as to how they plan to maximize their profits. Craig's answer was, "we have no plan to maximize out profits". I kind of liked it.

That is not the case. I list a lot of stuff on both venues. Realistically, Craigslist has about 1/100th of the buyers that my listings attract on ebay. ebay is well worth the fees, but craigslist definitely is also worth more that I am paying for its listings (nothing).

Ignoramus7760

What Craigslist is beating the shit out of is the newspaper classified business. Some news stories estimate that they've removed hundreds of millions (per year) in classified revenue from the market.

Reply to
Jedd Haas