reverse gloat

In northeast Seattle Washington for most of my life was a US Navy installation called Sand Point Naval Air Station. Now it's a closed base, and a city park. Today I responded to a free ad in my local craigslist which simply said arc welder in good shape. Wow -- a really cool old Westinghouse Flexarc commutator type welder, 220 V 3 phase input, 300A DC output. Still wired up, I freaked the kayak shop guy out by throwing the big wall switch and then turning on the welder. Spun right up. Must have 200 pounds of copper, on a wheel kit, about the size of a world champion pig - HUGE. They also had 3 free fab tables, 2 4x8' steel tables I didn't look at much because they were just tables and buried, but they had a really wonderful hot table. 8x3', top lined with firebrick, first ledge below the table separated to hold O/A rod (still had quite a bit of rod in there), integral vise stand, place at the end to secure tanks to and lock them, swing-out operator's stool, solid fabricated steel. I hitched onto a corner and went "ughhhh" and I thought it was welded to the floor. But it wasn't - sucker is just *heavy*. Finally, they had what looked like a regular chemical storage cabinet, double doors, about 6' tall 4' wide, but it was a heated rod cabinet. The heater unit looked like it would still work.

Everything was WWII era but has been in the back of a clean dry shop and looks to be in good shape.

I had to pass on it all. But I wanted it, every bit, all 3000 pounds or whatever. A few years ago I would have loaded every speck onto my boom truck and hauled it all home.

This was the coolest welding table I've ever seen. Dang.

Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote: > In northeast Seattle Washington for most of my life was a US Navy > installation called Sand Point Naval Air Station. Now it's a closed > base, and a city park. Today I responded to a free ad in my local > craigslist which simply said arc welder in good shape. Wow -- a really > cool old Westinghouse Flexarc commutator type welder, 220 V 3 phase > input, 300A DC output. Still wired up, I freaked the kayak shop guy out > by throwing the big wall switch and then turning on the welder. Spun > right up. Must have 200 pounds of copper, on a wheel kit, about the size > of a world champion pig - HUGE. They also had 3 free fab tables, 2 4x8' > steel tables I didn't look at much because they were just tables and > buried, but they had a really wonderful hot table. 8x3', top lined with > firebrick, first ledge below the table separated to hold O/A rod (still > had quite a bit of rod in there), integral vise stand, place at the end > to secure tanks to and lock them, swing-out operator's stool, solid > fabricated steel. I hitched onto a corner and went "ughhhh" and I > thought it was welded to the floor. But it wasn't - sucker is just > *heavy*. Finally, they had what looked like a regular chemical storage > cabinet, double doors, about 6' tall 4' wide, but it was a heated rod > cabinet. The heater unit looked like it would still work. >

Whenever I pass on stuff like that it occupies my dreams at night. Then I rationalise it, and the next day I'm back there getting it...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Should'na gotten rid of the boom truck..... of course, that's why I sold MY boom truck... it was just too easy to have heavy equipment follow me home...

Mark