INCONEL Welding Electrodes 182

I just got a good(or what i think is good) deal on 10lbs of these on ebay and was wondering if anyone had used them before and could advise me on the proper technique for running these? do you run them like

6011 or more like 6013? Any info you have on approprite uses would be great also, although they appear to be similar to inconel 82 tig filler. i.e. a fairly general purpose rod.

Thanks

Sam

Reply to
spjames

From my Inco alloys brochure: ...Dissimilar welds for which the electrode is used include ... Nickel to stainless; stainless to carbon steels. ... Power supply: DC, electrode positive.

80,000 psi minimum as welded strength.

I don't have any of the stick rods but I have a bunch of TIG rods and find they do well when many others don't. What size did you get? 1/8" wants 65-95 amps.

Not quite as nice as 625 alloy but close.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

yep, 10lbs of 1/8". $30 including shipping, looked like a good deal to me. although i have no idea what it would cost new.

can they be used to just join mild steel to itself?

Thanks for the info.

Sam

Reply to
spjames

Yes, but that would be a waste. Use them for times when you need to join unknown metals, like fixing tools or car parts.

Inconel runs like Stainless steel. You need to run the amps a little higher than for 7018, because the metal is a natural resistor and needs more current to melt.

If flat and flat fillet welds teh stuff will give glass smooth shiny weld beads. Very pretty. In vertical up and overhead it is tricky because the weld puddle is more liquid than with steel so it will be prone to dripping.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler