<Gloat>

I walked into a shop today, making a cold call..and the owner pointed over near the loading dock and asked me when I was gonna take it home?

Ive been drooling over it for at least 5 yrs. Now he brought in some new CNC mills and needed the space.

Yipp Yipp Yippie!!!!

Now if I can only figure out how to get 2500 lbs home....I shot the wad with the fork lift move....

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

I have a VHF 3 - very nice mill for my purposes, at 2500 pounds, you must have gotten a 2 not a 3. The company has been very helpful also, despite a few english to sweedish language problems. You can order the manual direct from them - I think it was 55 euros, which I sent to them in cash - it was hugely expensive to get a wire transfer, and it's not all that hard to find someone with euros - that's a lot cheaper for an "official" manual than hunting around for a local reproduction - and it's a good tri-lingual manual.

I'm running my unit with a simple static phase converter (one capacitor, one relay) that I stuffed into the connection box at the rear of the machine. Once I start the 6 HP spindle motor, the ways motor starts and reverses nicely (note that on this machine the ways motor reverses to actuate the rapid traverse mode

have fun.

Reply to
William Noble

Cool! I dont know for sure WHICH model it is. It for certain has the

3 seperate feed levers on the head, so it could be an older 3..but more likley a 2 based on some of the details in the pictures.

I know Wayne Cook has one..didnt know you did too. way cool.

I dont know if this has the over arm support though. Ill have to hunt around in all the dark corners of the shop. As far as I know..they only used it verticly with a face mill

I dont even know if its MT4 or 40taper..I think...think..its 40 taper

Sold through Givens machinery and very nice. This is one of those shops you can eat off the floor

You may recognize their products....

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

======================= Looks like a fine machine and a combination that will actually be good at both H&V milling as opposed to simply doing both h&V milling.

It appears with the consolidation of the machine tool industry, such innovative designs are no longer considered for production. Shame that's the case.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Reality check...what are you going to do with it?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Wow, congratulations! That's an awesom looking mill!

Reply to
jpolaski

Swede machine tools. What's next, moving the shop El Segundo and drinking Latte at Starbucks (:

Nice score.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

He's gonna take it home, find a good place to park it and THEN evaluate its possibilities. IT'S A TOOL. We can never know the possibilities 'til we get it home and try it. A REALLY nice looking tool too, by the way, GA. You guys that dwell on need rather than opportunity sure take the fun out of it, sometimes. Just messin' with ya, Tom. Respectfully, Ron Moore

SNIP

Reply to
Ron Moore

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Tom Gardner" wrote on Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:34:26 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

He's going to Make Stuff with it.

Details to be determined at a later time.

tschus pyotr

reminds me of the folks who go broke buying stuff "because it is such a good deal."

Reply to
phamp

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:56:36 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

So why the heck do you need yet another Whorizontal mill? ;)

Howzzat book comin', sport? Gonna ship your alice clips to me along with it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I just get the feeling that Gunner is accumulating a shrine to his scroungability. If he were to turn all his toys on at the same time, CA would have a black-out. No offence Gunner...on the other hand, the guy with the most toys DOES win!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

ok, for what it's worth, I put a snapshot of my Abene mill on my web page. go to

and click on hobbies and then the "tools?" link - some day I may put more photos up.

Reply to
William Noble

Cut away everthing that doesnt look like what Im trying to make?

Shrug...what was I going to do with the #xx rifle I brought home?

Need has nothing to do with it. Want on the other hand..and having it satisfied...is the goal.

On the other hand...I had a Taiwanese drill press I used to chuck stuff in, turn it on and hit it with a file. Thats what I "machined" on. That was the upgrade from chucking it in a drill motor, and holding it between my knees as I hit it with a file.

Then came the elderly Logan, 10". Then a 11" Logan "fixerupper", then something better, then better still. Find something better, sell off the old stuff, and repeat repeat repeat. Now I have a Hardinge HLV-H, a Hardinge TFB, and a Clausing 1501.

Each and every time, I upgraded. Sometimes I made a couple bucks on the outgrown machine, applied to the new one, or tooling, sometimes I simply gave it away. But I always upgraded.

Now Ive got a shop filled with machines that I can actually DO stuff with. If it doesnt come out right..its my fault, not because Im trying to make do with a clapped out piece of shit. I can now concentrate on actually Learning to machine, rather than fighting the machines.

What do I really NEED a shaper for? Nothing really. Or that second

14" crescent wrench, or the third 24" pipe wrench. One only really needs two pipe wrenches. One to back up with, one to pull on.

Chuckle...I, like nearly every other machine tool hobbyist..became doomed the moment I turned my first chip. Doomed to a love of fine machinery, and the smell and sound of chip making. Its been of the most frustrating and rewarding hobbies Ive ever taken up. Harder than sailing, harder than competition shooting, harder than billiards etc.

Its an addiction, its a thrill, its fun and its educational. I love it and I curse it.

And Im saddled with a second hobby. Scounging. I love treasure hunting. Going to swap meets and finding a mint Mity micrometer, still in the box, tucked away in the bottom of a box filled with used and broken curling irons at a swap meet. "..the C clamp thingy? $5"...to getting a phone call from someone I once met..and asking me to come over and take a look at "Grandpa's old heavy 22" (Winchester Mod

52d)..."Ill take $75 for it..its only a single shot and too heavy to shoot rabbits with.....and the scope is way to big" (Unertal 24x) "oh..and Ive got some gun books..you want em? I was gonna throw em away or donate em..Phil Sharp? George Nonte?..never heard of em......here..Ill carry the other box out...."

And it appears Ive got something of a "knack" and a "nose" for it. Some times I dont know when "enough is enough" though..so everybody that comes by the homestead, goes away loaded down with Stuff. Sometimes I make a buck, other times I simply pass Stuff along. Most of the time, both.

I dont generally do it to make money..its more along the lines of Fun that pays for itself. I DO work hard at it though. And network like crazy. Which has occasionally led to some real money. Finders fees. I get calls every week for "hey Gunner..Im looking for...." and hey Gunner..Ive got this for sale if you know of anyone wanting one...." I generally get 10-15% as a brokers fee, from the seller, for commercial Stuff. Sometimes more, sometimes simply as a favor. Last year..it was about 25% of my total income.

Guy called me up 3 weeks ago, wanting a 2 ton, air powered chain hoist. Id Never even seen one before. The buyer picked it up from the seller Tuesday. $150. That was a freebie between two guys I like.

The Abene. Ive never ever seen one run before. But it fascinated me to simply look upon this chunk of cast iron. And I decided I wanted one.

Mutual backscratching, and scrounging..is a wonderful thing. And thats what us po' boys got to do..when we'uns aint got no money. Thats how we can afford champaign on a lolly water budge.

What am I gonna do with this ol girl? First thing Im gonna do is clamp down some 1" plate on some risers, and make up 2 complete sets of fingers for the (2) 24" DiAcro finger brakes. Set that head at 35 degrees, put in a nice sharp insert face mill (yall want these cutters? We sold the mill years ago...)..and go for it.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

See my post of a few moments ago.

I think..there may be something to the fact I grew up dirt poor, wearing hand me downs. I didnt mind they were used, in fact, prefer buying most of my stuff at the 2nd hand stores...but I tend to keep two or more of everything. Bought a shovel at a yard sale the other day. $2, Nice fiberglass handled round point. Took it home, and put it in the shovel rack next to one identical to it. But then..I remember more than once busting a shovel handle and having to dig with a flat point, or a garden trowel...just to get the job done. Having the luxury..or not so luxury of having a good spare on hand..is sometimes its own reward. Particularly when cash is rare, and going out and buying a new shovel isnt in the cards. (purely as an example)

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Hummm excellent point! Ive just decided to make the new scope mounts for the latest Swedish Mauser on the Abene. Seems appropriate somehow...

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Last chapter is this weekend. Ill ship it out this coming week. Including the hermetically sealed envelope of cig butt and sample matt of cat hair

Glad you reminded me about the clips!

Hows the tool cutter grinder? Get a diamond wheel for it yet? I did give you a green wheel, didnt I?

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Cool! Different than mine. Ive got more knobs and Stuff on the body casting. Ill try to swing in tommorow and take some pictures.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

You Suck! (rec.woodworking gloat response)

Reply to
clutch

Someday I'll have a Swede. The bent bolt one, not the straight one.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Nice. I think you'll like it. I feel it's one of the most versatile mills out there for it's size.

Reply to
Wayne Cook