Bittter cold and unhappy customers

This AM, the temp was -8. This is quite remarkable, we get to -3 sometime,s but seldom colder than that.

We have only a trace of snow on the ground.

This AM is my congregation's turn to man the Bishops Storehouse. I'd rather be asleep, but I'm going to get cleaned up and go out into the bitter cold. See if the truck will start,a nd then drive slowly to the Storehouse. See if I can get enough heat in the truck to defrost the window, good luck......

I'm hoping I've got enough antifreeze in the radiator that it isn't frozen solid by now. I had a can of pop freeze and rupture a night or two ago in my truck. Didn't do much damage, just leaked and froze in my cooler. I've had cans of pop explode and spray. Glad this one didn't do that.

I feel quite blessed. I had two service calls yesterday, and have a little more work for today. Changing locks on a house yesterday. We didn't hvae enough time to do them all, and one lock remaining to change today.

I'm a bit worried here, though. It has been far too mild, and I'm expecting the rebound, when the weather gets even with us. Of course, the minus 8 is doing it. One of the temple presidency is from SLC, and he says that SLC does below zero now and again, but the low humidity there doesn't feel as cold. So, we really get hurt badly with this bitter cold.

The Bishops Storehouse went well. As always, we had a great crew, and did a lot of good. I did a bunch of stacking totes, and putting on stickers. Not prestige job, but it needed done.

Got home, and went to the lady's h ouse, and changed the one last lock. The heater blower on the van didn't work, and I came home bitter cold. I stopped to gas up the van,a nd the van wouldn't restart. I sprayed some ether, and changed the ballast resistor. Another driver stopped to give me a jump, and that helped a lot. He works for another heating company, and we knew some folks in common.

The lady I changed her locks (while it was -3 F and the heat in my van doesn't work) called back. She sdays she's going to have to stop payment on the check unless I call her right back cause a couple of the locks don't work quite right.

I did call her back, and she says I "oughta fixed it while I was there", not mentioning htat she was rushing me for for speed cause she had to be out the door to pick up her daughter. I quite seriously thought they were OK, except the one where the keys stuck a bit putting the keys in and out.

Ah, well. Must be something good about to happen tomorrow, usually when I get dumped on Saturday cause something good doing on Sunday.

We settled on tomorrow about 4, and I'm going back to see if I can find out what went wrong. I'm not going to take the van that doesn't start right, and has no fan! Going to load some tools into the other car, and take that.

The cold hasn't bothered me all that much,e ven the -8 we had th is AM. But on the way out of the leadership meet, I was shiverring right to the core. Glad to get home. I did stop and gas up the truck, though. I hate that cold shivers. Makes me wonder what's going wrong. Well, I was out in the cold a lot today, and didn't have any formal dinner. Had a microwave single serving pizza before I went. Bet t hat's what went wrong. If I'd had a burger or somethign more to eat before the meet, I likely woulda been OK.

You likely learned in school that a "calorie" is the ammount of heat needed to raise one gram of water one degree. So, when you're cold.... it's cause your body is losing calories (heat). If you're cold.... eat. And eat high calorie stuff.

And that's the news from the frozen tundra here.

Christopher A. Young Jesus: The Reason for the Season

alt-hvac Moderated

back in the late 60's... 68/69 winter in fact, spent 30 days in Chicago..

2 weeks at boot camp, and 2 weeks on the lake... we were out 'several hours' a day... going here and there... then the 2 weeks on the Lake, with the 30-40 MPH winds... the average temp while I was there was close to 40 below, chill factor... and there was a few days that it was 65 below...

came back home, and it was a sunny balmy +10 and I was sweating...

that was THEN... now, its a different story... was -2 here the other day, and the hottest it got was +20. was glad there was FEW calls that day

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I got back from the problem call. Well, the couple knob locks had been master keyed. She was rushing me cause she had to go get her daughter, and I didn't check for master pins. Course, now th ekeys don't go in cause the top pinstack is too high. Take the plug out, and pull the master pins, and now the locks owrk.

Stopped for gas on the way home yesterday and the van wouldn't restart. I tried ether, and then a new ballast resistor (Dodge). Finally someone stopped by and gave me a jump, and after a while it restarted.

Got up into the 20's, and so I had good weather for pulling master pins. Grabbed the tools I thought I'd need, and worked out of th eback of my Blazer with the glass up, and standing in the snow.

That was 4 PM and since then we got 3 inches of wet sticky snow, and the roads are terrible. I love new york. I love new york. I love new york.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Got up near 32 today,a nd it sure felt like a heatwave.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Saturday morning I when out to dup a broken key. Would you believe I couldn't get my key machines to run right. eventually after running the one for a few seconds at at time I got it to work.

Is that "blessed" because you _only_ had two calls in that weather? ;)

Jesus said, "Whoever can be trusted with very little can aslo be trusted with much.

Theres the story about the guy who went to his pastor and said that he'd like to be concidered for a leadership role in the church.

The Pastor said, "That's great, but how 'bout helping us set up these tables first"

Well? How was your Sunday?

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Ever think about moving south?

Man I can't even consider what it would be like where you are because I've never felt cold under about 15 degrees F and that has only been a time or two. Today it was sunny and 60F.

Why would anyone want to live in a freezer 3 or 4 months out of the year? :-))))))

My friend is up in Northern Idaho. He drove a truck up there. He threw his hot coffee out the window when he pulled over to check a tire the other day. After checking the pressure he promptly busted his you know what on the frozen coffee trying to open the door to his truck.

URRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's too cold for me.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

was in the 60's here today, wore a short sleeved shirt.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Saturday morning I when out to dup a broken key. Would you believe I couldn't get my key machines to run right. eventually after running the one for a few seconds at at time I got it to work. CY: I've learned that with my Framon, that if I want to set the depth dial, I have to crank it way too high of a cut,a nd come in slowly. If I start low, I get a cut too deep. That took me ages to figure that out.

Is that "blessed" because you _only_ had two calls in that weather? ;) CY: Well, friend, it was blessed cause I had any work at all. been very slow here.

Jesus said, "Whoever can be trusted with very little can aslo be trusted with much.

Theres the story about the guy who went to his pastor and said that he'd like to be concidered for a leadership role in the church.

The Pastor said, "That's great, but how 'bout helping us set up these tables first" CY: Thanks. I've stacked chairs and tables any number of times. I'm also in leadership, too.

Well? How was your Sunday? CY: Actually, unremarkable. I can't explain it. Maybe later I'll find out what was supposed to be good about yesterday. Wish I knew.

Bobby

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

I read a post some where (another group?) about a fellow who got out to inflate a soft tire. He'd spilled some coffee on his hand, and froze his hand to the air chuck. Had to drag the hose into the truck and get his coffee, again, to pour on the air chuck to unfreeze his hand.

I'd considered moving south. But I grew up here, it's what I know.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Chris, you are making me feel guilty. Last night I was swearing at how cold my garage was when I cleaned the cat-box. As it was just before bedtime I wasn't wearing much, not even socks.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining. I typically work in a heated office.

Daniel (in central California)

Reply to
dbs__usenet

I've heard of naked rodeo, party naked, etc., but never cleaning cat boxes naked. You are one kinky doode. Party on, Wild Man... David H.

Reply to
David H