Cutting Decorative SS Sheet

As part of a kitchen remodel, we recently had a new range hood installed. We plan to use a plain rectangular brushed stainless vent pipe cover to match the hood, but the vent exits through a sloped ceiling. The manufacturer (Ventahood) will custom-cut the vent cover, but they want almost $290 for the work -- more than the cost of the cover itself.

A local fab shop says they can make the cuts using either a plasma torch or an abrasive wheel in a die grinder, but that either process will leave a blue burn line along the cut. Before I shell out almost $300 for cutting, I'd be interested to hear about any other options that might be available.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jim Frame

I would probably plasma cut it and then brush off any discoloration. Industrial scotch-brite or wet-dry sandpaper will produce a brushed finish. You could practice on the part that you will be throwing away.

Richard

Jim Frame wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

I'd just cut with some tin snips and trim the edges, if necessary with a grinder. The other thing is to do the work with a nibbleer if you don't need 0 scrap lines cut. The metal can be worked with a hammer and body dolly (car tool) and get the dings out and then polish as desired.

Bob May

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

Reply to
Tim Killian

I make custom vent hoods and duct covers out of stainless and copper.

A very thin abrasive wheel (0.045") on a 4-1/2" right angle grinder is by far the best solution. It cuts so fast through thin stainless steel that it doesn't have a chance to discolor.

I do this all the time, and I have a plasma cutter, power nibbler, lots of tin snips and power shears.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

And they guarantee it will be done well. If you take it somewhere else and they mess it up, you may end up buying two of them.

cs

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood