Cutting heating costs and water heater

I am interested in building a waste oil wood burner or something that would but my propane usage. I dont have a basement. I have an attached garage with acess to my crawl space. It has acess to my water heater too.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas on building such a thing?

Reply to
stryped

I have a woodstove that came with my shop. It's a 55-gallon drum on it's side, legs welded on, stack at one end, hinged half-lid at the other with a handle and a place for a pin to keep it closed. There is also a stub of 4x4 square tube below the door, with a cover on a piece of allthread to adjust the air intake. Works great. I have added a steel rack above it for storing bulk steel. The heated steel also stores the heat from the stove. This thing works well to burn any shop waste, including oil-soaked newspapers and whatever scrap wood or brush I don't want to bur in the LR fireplace. My next project is to add waste-oil feed to this. I inted to run copper tubing from my WO barrel to a point below the heater access door (half-lid). I'll also run shop air, and combine fittings so the oil tees into the shop airstream and makes a venturi suction. Ball valves to adjust each. From there a short piece of steel tube in a hole drilled in the barrel so it sprays atomized oil lengthwise and up into the barrel. Start the fire with the usual scrap and shop waste, then add in air and oil according to how much heat you want to generate. It's still 94 degrees here, so I'm not pressed to get on with it

Rex B Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

wrote: (clip) Does anyone have any plans or ideas on building such a thing? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Have you considered solar?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Gunner

That would not work for inside a house though would it?

Reply to
stryped

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Dunno which of the posts you meant to reply to, so I will assume it was mine--re: solar water heater. The solar panels are placed on the roof. The rest of the system can be distributed where it will fit. I have two 80 gal holding tanks in the walk space under the house. Water comes from the main line to the holding tanks, and then to the gas-fired water heater. Any temperature rise the solar panels can create is that much less gas I have to use.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I found a reference to using waste oil somewhere on the internet. The specifics were in a book an pottery. I don't remember the name of the book off hand, but our local library had the book. If you can't google it up from that, let me know and I will find it.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I used to have that book. It was on building kilns. Instead of spraying the oil they used a hot plate burner. The oil dripped on what became a red hot steel plate and vaporized. Might be three plates as that's what comes to mind. I used that book and my physics book to design and build and electric furnace to melt brass. It worked very well. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk