Cutting lubricant for unheated shop (NY)

Any recommendations for a lubricant to use in an unheated shop? Do the water based lubricants freeze or become too viscous below 20 degrees?

Reply to
ATP

The basement at my old house got quite cold and the lard-based cutting lubes would freeze solid. I never had that problem with Kool Tool II or Tapmagic Molecular Edge.

Whereabouts in NY? I'm near Syracuse.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Suffolk County, near the Great South Bay. Kinda like the Bahamas compared to Syracuse, but I couldn't start my compressor last week in the single digit weather we had.

Reply to
ATP

My old shop was unheated if I wasn't in it. (wood stove)

I mixed old anitfreeze solution drained from the car instead of straight water in with the water soluable oil or Kool mist or whatever. Worked fine. They give this stuff away at salvage yards - its hazardous waste.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Some of the water based cutting fluids can be diluted with an antifreeze solution. The propylene glycol ones are easier on your body than the ethylene glycol ones.

Reply to
Beecrofter

I think I'll go with the propylene glycol, we have cats, and I like one of them.

Reply to
ATP

the coolant in both of my saws froze last week out here in montauk

Reply to
WGalcik

It's cold at the end of the earth!

Reply to