DIY CNC - errors in lead screw thread - Resolved

I followed the advice you all gave me & checked / tightened / aligned what I could.

Retesting the x axis gave me the following figures that I'm pretty pleased with.

DRO Dial Gauge (all values in mm)

0 0 1.003 1 2.03 2 3.01 3 4.01 4 5.04 5 6.03 6 8.06 8 10.05 10

I cut some test holes, a rectangular cutout and some circular cutouts. Both were within 0.05mm (~2 thou?).

I changed the cutting bit to a 2 flute 1/8" dremel router bit and got a much much cleaner cut with little to no melting of the plastic and little burr left on the edge.

Some pics here of rectangular cutout & circular cutouts:

?v=KJ2cvsCfiL8

Thanks for you help, you can be assured there will be more questions to come!

Reply to
Dennis

What did you find to be the major source of error, or did you just take the shotgun approach?

Reply to
rangerssuck

?v=KJ2cvsCfiL8>>

LOL. I usually do both. Try to find the major problem, and as long as I am adjusting I adjust everything.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

?v=KJ2cvsCfiL8>>>

Shotgun approach - tightened & centred everything I could think of.

I still need to square everything up some more. Typical runout seems to be about 0.15mm per 100mm travel on the table - probably not a major issue for routing work.

Reply to
Dennis