lead screw assmbely

hi, im looking for a source for lead screws in the surplus market or maybe making my own with some help from a machinist. I have designed a drum sander
that im planning on building and im stuck at one point. this is what im trying to do I have a 4 x 24" drum on a 3/4 or 1" shaft that I want to move up and down about 4".
my first thought was to use a couple 1" threaded rods in flange bearings but where im stuck is connecting the pillow blocks to the rods, my thinking tells me to have some one make me a couple 1" x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel blocks that are threaded for the rod to move thru. then I can mount the pillow blocks on the 1" side but now I need a way to guide the blocks up and down so they wont spin. maybe c channel of some sort that the blocks can ride in on the outboard sides. any thoughts on this would be helpful. thanks Dominic
Are you anywhere near Central Oregon? I think I have just what you need. Remains from an old wave solder machine.
Paul
Dominic Palazzola wrote:

Look up "take up" bearing housings, made primarily for conveyors but would do your job.
Tom

www.mcmaster-carr.com
Search for ACME screw Search for BallScrew
McMaster-Carr is your friend....
--
Anthony

Ball-bearing drawer slides?