lead screw assmbely

hi, im looking for a source for lead screws in the surplus market or maybe making my own with some help from a machinist. I have designed a drum sander that im planning on building and im stuck at one point. this is what im trying to do I have a 4 x 24" drum on a 3/4 or 1" shaft that I want to move up and down about 4".

my first thought was to use a couple 1" threaded rods in flange bearings but where im stuck is connecting the pillow blocks to the rods, my thinking tells me to have some one make me a couple 1" x 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 steel blocks that are threaded for the rod to move thru. then I can mount the pillow blocks on the 1" side but now I need a way to guide the blocks up and down so they wont spin. maybe c channel of some sort that the blocks can ride in on the outboard sides. any thoughts on this would be helpful. thanks Dominic

Reply to
Dominic Palazzola

Are you anywhere near Central Oregon? I think I have just what you need. Remains from an old wave solder machine.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

Look up "take up" bearing housings, made primarily for conveyors but would do your job.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thise folks have a lot of lead screw material:

dp

Reply to
Dennis Peterson

"Dominic Palazzola" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Search for ACME screw Search for BallScrew

McMaster-Carr is your friend....

Reply to
Anthony

Ball-bearing drawer slides?