Harrison M300 Lead Screw

Hi

I'm a newbie on here but have just acquired a Harrison M300 and am in the process of getting it all into life.

On inspecting the machine a bit more carefully, I find that the Lead screw floats lengthways by maybe a quarter of an inch or so :confused: .

The machine isnt powered just yet but the screw appears to rotate as expected if the machine is hand turned.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to cure it ?

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
PaulIngram

A look at the parts list should tell you all. On the end of the leadscrew is a nut with two flats. At the bottom of the hole in the centre is a cap-head grub screw. It works like an internal locknut. Loosen the grub screw and then you can adjust for zero clearance. However there should be a pair of thrust ballraces, one either side of the block that's screwed to the bed. If one of those were missing I reckon you'd end up with about a quarter of an inch of slack!!!! Could this be your problem? I dismantled, cleaned and re-adjusted mine only last week. G

Reply to
Geoffrey Johnson

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I got a hold of the parts list earlier in the week, and now see the problem. My machine is newto me and at some point in the past, the parts you mention have been removed.

I checked with 600 group for replacements but decided their prices were a bit stiff so have ordered up the thrust bearing and am making the spacer and bolt. With a bit of luck, I should get it all finished off this evening.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
PaulIngram