does JET make decent lathes? and; indexing?

Hi,

Still haven't bought my lathe to turn into a rose engine, but am about to.

There is on ebay a JET metal lathe. I always associated them with acceptable though not high-end wood lathes, and also other woodworking equipment. Not so much with metal, but then, I've just used the monarchs and clausings available on campus and am not acquainted with the greater market.

Are they fairly good? I need impeccable tolerances, no slop-- especially when I bring up the nerve to try a watch dial; but my cuts will be hair-deep and very slow, so I don't need a heavy or a heavy-duty machine.

Second part: how do you index a chuck on a metal lathe? Are there attachements that go between the chuck and the headstock spindle, so you can index it? I tried searching enco but wasn't finding the right thing, at least, though maybe they have it. What would it be called, if not a "lathe indexing head?" If nothing is available commercially, I could probably figure out something; but it would be convenient if they were already manufactured :-)

thanks! -Bernard Arnest

Reply to
Bernard Arnest

There is an attachment for the Myford lathe to do this, if may be possible to adapt something like this to a jet but I am not sure

http://www.hem> Hi,

Reply to
James P Crombie

Hmm, that doesn't allow you to rotate the headstock, though, does it? Say, if I wanted to thread a rod, but with 4 threads each starting 90 degrees apart? Such that the headstock just still be free to turn, but I'll need to index the part.

James P Crombie wrote:

Reply to
Bernard Arnest

Reply to
James P Crombie

Jet is probably the best of the Asian imports in it's price class, especially if it Taiwanese equip. IMHO it is a cut above Grizzly and HF. Customer support and parts availability is very good.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian