Don Nichols - CamBam

I recently ran across a conversation between Lloyd and myself here in RCM w here you commented that it was too bad CamBam was strictly Windows based... or something to that affect.

CamBam has been ported over to Linux, and I have it running under Ubuntu. It was a bit of a pain to get the supporting stuff installed, but it works in a Linux native form. I think the Linux based demo may be time limited r ather than executions limited, but I bet Andy would help you out a little i f the time isn't enough.

Bob La Londe

Reply to
akaboblalonde

Sorry, about the alternate name post. I didn't want to forget to post it, and I wasn't at my computer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I at least recognized your name at the bottom of the posting, so no problem.

I just checked their site and don't see a mention there of a linux version.

Hmm ... there's something else called "CAMBAM" at McGill University -- "Centre for Applied Mathematics in Bioscience and Medicine", so that is no help.

This does sound interesting, and I would certainly be happy to pay for a usable version for linux, not just run a free one. But I first have to finish the conversion of my Bridgeport BOSS-3 from the original stepper motors to a proper servo system. I got set back about a year ago when the lube pump set it self and the liter of Vactra No. 2 on fire, and filled the shop with rather acidic smoke. I'm currently (now that the room has been redone -- new insulation and drywall, and

*lots* of better illumination -- I'm currently going through de-rusting the tooling. (The machines mostly survived as what was not painted was oiled, but the tooling was rather ugly. Have a look at:

with a new part just added which keeps the de-rusting solution at about

95F -- well above the minimum 65F that they suggest, and *much* better than the 50F which it otherwise would drop to left unheated in the room where I'm doing the de-rusting. :-)

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Forum Discussion

Download Linux Version

Its not free, but it's the best bang for your buck I have found for CAM and its 2d CAD is ok too. It will import STL files and 3DS files for machining

3D also. Most of what you need to use and install it is on the download page.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

[ ... ]

Done. Thanks.

This should be enough to get started with. At least the license fee does not seem out of reach if it works for me.

Thanks again, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols