Dremal tool speed control

> $24 including shipping. In a previous thread, someone said this

this sounds like a good match for the dc treadmill motors many have bot for their home shops. it says up to 3.5hp.

yes, sewing machines have used solid state speed control for many years. what is _not_ commonly known, is that the foot control is simply an air chamber. the actual circuit resides in the head and is pneumatically controlled. --Loren

Reply to
Loren Coe

Dale Randall

Pretty much the only part that can fail on the control board is the surface mount triac BT134W, which costs about 2usd.. I've replaced one to my dremel.. Pretty easy.

Kristian Ukkonen.

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen

Quite true. A lamp dimmer will work with any universal motor tool like a dremel, a drill, router etc, though may not give good speed regulation due to lack of feedback. A variac will do the same. However you should not use an electronic speed control on a tool that incorporates one internally.

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

You can hook a MOV across the load to kill off spikes.

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

And the variable resistor. It died on mine in such a way that the arcing has destroyed at least the wiper, and possibly the resistive track too. What should the end-end resistance of the track be?

Reply to
Ian Stirling