Drill/Tap NPT in Brass Boiler

Good Morning -

Thinking about drilling and tapping my espresso machine boiler (top surface) for a thermocouple installation - either 1/16 or 1/8 NPT. While it would be ideal if there were a "boss" that gave me, say, 3/8 or 1/2" wall thickness, I'm thinking that the boiler's top wall is only about 1/8" thick. Any tips/tricks you can think of would be appreciated.

Eric S.

Reply to
Eric Svendson

Drill a hole and solder or braze on a small brass pipe fitting? Sounds easier to me than tapping a piece of sheet metal...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey Eric,

For a thermo-couple? Why? Just surface mount it.

If it IS necessary to pierce the boiler, then make an oval hole, an oval "brass" piece of somewhat larger dimensions than the hole with the tapped hole you require already in it, pass the oval through the hole "sideways" and turn in situ to suit, then either clamp it on externally, or silver solder/braze it (if you can do so with what I assume will be a "dirty" surface). Ever see a "clean-out plug"??

I would probably do "more" than I've stated, but you get the idea. If this is form commercial use, be aware of your liability.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson