Drill and tap Corten steel?

I have a piece of Cor10 marked steel in my scrap pile, and I was thinking of using it for a baseplate for a small (18" arm) helve hammer I am making. It is about the size and thickness (1/4") I had in mind.

I assume that I can weld it with 6013 stick rod without problems. The concern that I have is drilling and tapping it. I seem to recall that Corten (weathering steel) has significant alloy content, but not being a metalurgist, even if I knew what the alloys were, I don't think that I would know what impact, if any, there would be on my ability to drill and tap the steel. I did spend a few minutes researching this on google, and came up with nothing.

If drilling and tapping would be troublesome, maybe I should save this piece for a future outdoor sculpture.

Any thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Richard

Richard Ferguson

Don't WORRY! Just go do it with the proper techniques for drilling and tapping steels. They will work just fine.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Reply to
Steve Lusardi