dumb question - which orientation to cut

I started thinking about how to mount the steel on my Shizuoka cnc bedmill to cut the dovetails to mate to the dv-59 bed and realized one orientation may be better than the other on my mill. It has box ways for Y and Z and dovetail ways for the longer X. Would it be better to cut the dovetails parallel to the Y axis which I assume is more accurate/rigid than the X axis or does this type of thing not matter and I am being dumb/anal? In the past I have not really bothered caring which axis did most of the movement because +/- 0.001" was good enough.

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
rick

I would probly stay in Y if the work fits, likely theres not as much wear along that axis.

For the best accuracy you should probly fit the dove against the mating surface on assembly anyway--blueing, scraping, lapping or what have you to make sure if the cut isnt perfectly straight you will at least have intimate contact at the outside ends only.........

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT