Framon #2 question

OK, so maybe this is a dumb question but I was always told the only dumb questions are the ones that are never asked. So here goes. I have no experience with the Framon #2 machine but may be getting one in the very near future. What I'm curious about is the way it cuts a key. Since the depth and spacing are set when you pull the handle, won't that leave a "V" shape cut in the key? The keys I've dealt with all have a "shelf" where each pin or wafer sits. If there's just a V, won't a pin like a factory kwikset (very little point) rest on the sides of the V shape instead of going all the way to the bottom of the V where the depth was set?

I hope the my explanation of this question makes sense. I'm sure there's a good answer since many a locksmith loves their Framon, but I am curious to know. Thanks all!

Reply to
Matt Larson

The Framon cutter has a flat on the edge that makes the "Shelf" or bottom of the cut flat.

Leon Rowell

Matt Lars> OK, so maybe this is a dumb question but I was always told the only

Reply to
Leon Rowell

There are different cutters for different key types. Look at their web page.

Reply to
Peter

plus there are 'optional cutters with wider flats...if one needs them. and a SPECIAL one for foreign keys...

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I cant believe you guys missed this.

The Framon 2 uses two, X and Y axis calipers to dial in the depth and the spacing. The spacing isn't set. That's what is so good about it. All you need to do is use the standard cutter that comes with the machine to make any standard house key, SC1, KW1, etc...

Simply pull the handle toward you to bring in the cutting wheel to the proper depth then at the same time dail the other caliper handle to enlarge the flat spot on the blank. For example, the Kwikset has a flat spot where the bottom pin rides on the key which is .030". Simply open up the cut by dialing the caliper handle .015" both ways after making the depth cut.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

its in the directions in the space/depth book to do that

what I hope to find is a #1 and set it for SD keys ONLY, someday, 'when my ship comes in'

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Shiva I think your ship will come in sooner than later.

Reply to
Glen Cooper