Making an impression

It isn't often that a job falls into place, but here was one. And I have to blow my own horn now and again.

Got a call last week from a fellow, lost the key to a 85 Nissan. I havn't done car work in a couple years, and havn't done any impressioning at last two years.

Look it up in the Ilco book, and determine it's the 8 wafer system. Real pain. But, I figured I could probably find a code.

Got to the location, and can't find a code on the lock. Both door locks are corroded solid and I'm not about to take the door apart to look for numbers.

With some hesitation, I got my file, and went about impressioning. Entirely to my surprise, I got a key that worked on the first key blank. I climbed into the van and decoded it by eye, and made a key on the grinder that worked -- also first try.

So, tell me, did the sun and moon and stars all line up last Saturday? Was venus in the hemisphere? Or was I just lucky?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd have to say it is my favorite also.I've amazed myself many times.

It seems that in the first few minutes of doing it,You know if you are on the right track or not.

Actually, I would consider finding the mark more of a science.

But when you take a few files and make a key resemble one that was cut on a code machine-Now that is definitely art.

my2, goma.

Reply to
goma865

Did you impression the ignition lock? Also, how do you get factory depths and spaces using a "grinder" ?

Reply to
Ros

I think you answered your own question: I presume that's Chris's (or local) slang for a key machine.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Can't even remember where I learned that term. It's probably not industry slang, even. Sorry about any confusion.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry, there. I sometimes call key machines "grinders" and can't remember where I started that. I used a Framon II. The depths and spacing I got from a rather old locksmith magazine. When they published the codes some years ago, I made a photo copy to carry in my note book in the van. I got the Framon in about 1988 or so, and they hadn't got the depths for the 8 wafer Nissan, yet. Probably have them now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

yep,

Key

I emailed them once about a real new code series, and they got the information back to me within hours.. (remember the tire key on the Rangers?) --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I have always had sucess in impressioning... It's a great art. What cannot be picked can be impressioned... Thats and important thing to remember..... For mid security keysystems...... My 2 cents worth.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Smith