Locksmithing? Isn't that kinda like Knife Sharpening?

Remember those trucks that used to cruise the hood back in the 1950's with a loud clanging bell?

They would sharpen knives, scissors and stuff like that.

Today a $10.00 tool does it.

What happened? People got smart. Tools got better.\ The internet exposed the *secrets* of the braindead locksmith.

Isn't locksmithing kind of like that?

These days any idiot can install a lockset.

Carpenters do the project and development housing jobs. Supers/Janitorial in'juneers do the already built apartment houses.

Locksmithing is obsolete.

What is the point of spending hours rebuilding some lockset, fabricating pieces and so forth when the entire dammed thing cost $29.95?

I can see it for antique's, but no person with half an ounce of common sense would let a locksmith anywhere near an antique lock.

They would drill it and ruin it in short order.

So what do locksmiths do for a second career?

Sell ice?

BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Reply to
Simpson Magee

There is no $10.00 tool that can properly sharpen knives and scissors. This is no tool that an unskilled user can sharpen knives and scissors with.

I would not work on a $29.95 lock set. But I should would be willing to have a good lock worked on.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

auito work and security systems

Reply to
hallerb

That thing on the back of my can opener does an acceptable job on really dull knives but I do not expect or need a razor edge. It's not foolproof, you can just as easily flatten the edge, you do need to develop some skill but isn't that true of almost everything.

Residential locksmithing may be obsolete but comercially it is still a viable trade (though not many openings). Many companies have the need to rekey many doors at once or repair heavy duty metal door locks or maintain electronic locking systems (of which there are many to choose and all have installation issues). It appears that door and window companies also provide locksmithing services.

The locksmith shop that occupied the corner of the town near where I grew up now has an antique store in that locale. I do think the "Corner Shop" model of locksmithing is dead.

Your image of what a locksmith does is what's antiquated.

Reply to
PipeDown

Burglary. :+)

I'd like to see Maggie the corksoaker install a proximity card system in a large commercial building.

Reply to
bwells

lets say you have a 4 story building with 10 offices on each floor. total 40 locks each needs a key that opens only that lock. then you have cleaning people that clean only one floor so now you need a key that will open every lock on each floor but no locks on any other floor.then the the building manager needs a key that will open every lock in the building. so you have 40 separate keys 4 master keys and one grand master key.does home depot sell this setup for 29.95 per lock? if they do then i agree with you we dont need locksmiths anymore, becase the only other thing they can do is open the safe you inherited from your family member who passed away and you can do that with the small torch set that home depot sells.those papers that burnt werent important anyway were they?

Reply to
rogersdawn2

Good point, the other I'd make is that there is a world of difference between the key/lock sets you purchase at your local home hardware store, etc... and a key like medico which can not be replicated by anyone but a locksmith.

The quality of a key/lock system is like a good quality knife. Sure, if I buy a piss poor knife I don't mind buying a cheap sharpening stone, and having at it. But if I purchase an expensive, fine quality knife to do specialized work with then I'd prefer to treat it with the respect it requires to ensure I get what I require out of it.

Beyond that, I would say that I am seeing trades taking on more responsibilities. ie. some smiths taking getting involved with card access, video surveillance, etc...

Just an opinion, JW

Reply to
Justin West

I have to admit, that was funny.

Well, if they can't sell ice, there will always be money in AC compressor maintenance.

Reply to
billb

Not well.

What, just installed yourself a lockset? That it proves you, as the idiot, can install one doesn't make you a locksmith, let alone make them obsolete.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I assume you're just trolling but what the heck. I'm not busy right now. It's 9:55 pm and I have enough work during the day that I seldom take night calls anymore unless it's a regular account or I'm bored. And then only up until 10:00.

(But I digress)

Take a look a vertical rod exit device installation sheet and get back to me on that one.

Fine by me. No money in new construction. Let somebody else install locks for $15.00/hr

Again, fine by me. While I have a few apt complexes I do work at, it's certainly now where the real money is.

To quote you.... "BWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Maybe some aspects are, but commercial and safe work will always be there. It's too complicated for a DIYer with a screwdriver.

True, a residential grade lockset is seldom worth the time and expense to repair, but commercial grade locksets run anywhere from $78 for an Arrow knob lock to up to $500 (or more) for a brand name mortise lock. You don't just toss those when the fail, (unless the only tool you carry is a screwdriver)

.

So who should someone call to repair an antique LOCK???

Why would anybody DRILL an antique lock???

Teach, write, and/or invent.

Now go away.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

I like that.. "Public Buildings', schools and buildings for a city are 'bid'.. Cheapest bid gets the job.. (usually) Today the City called me-needed 3 locks changed on one of their Park Dept Buildings.. Lets make a list- Doors are sprung. Someone somehow has twisted them so that when shut, the top edge of the door is touching, and the bottom sticks out about 1/2". the upper and lower hidden rods are dragging as well, plus one door was never drilled on the lower hole for the bolt. take doors down and adjust..LOL Hinges are wore out, too. dragging on the threshold Glass/Aluminum Frame doors BTW. was quoted $800 per door for new minus the hardware..they asked the glass company..

Panic Bars- Broken pieces inside the bars themselves, (the pot metal gears on the 1990 series) along with some mis drilled mounting holes for same bars. between the inside and outside holes.. So, as soon as the 'repair parts' show up for the panic bars, I think I will spend about an hour and a half, refitting these bars to the doors, so that you CAN lock them. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yup Yup.....(scratching my Butt) I is a Locksmith.... Simpson Magee

and I guess since I charge $60.00 an hour and stay quite busy...I'm obsolete.

Oh yeah.....don't buy a car past 1999 with a Transponder or lock yourself out in the Midwest.............if so............Throw a Rock through the Window.

My 2 Cents

Reply to
ArrowLockSvc

First off one needs an understanding of what the geometry of the knife or sisors needs to be and then the tool that he chooses to use to get it to the desired geometry will be up to the person doing the sharpining.

I can sharpen a knife to a razor sharpness using nothing more than the bottom of a 50 cent thrift store coffee cup, but my wife can't get an edge on a knife with a $40 diamond hone.

Locksmithing is a skill that many are willing to pay for. There is always another solution rather than a locksmith, but the locksmith is often the best solution.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

My favorite one now is the chains at the malls who send out small safes such as a McGunn. They expect the store managers to be able to do combo changes so they send them the key and some instructions. Or they start to use U-Change cylinders. I enjoy working on the things that are used to eliminate the locksmith, than I do otherwise.

A few years ago, a local chain store started selling small rekey kits. It came with 2 keys, pins for 2 cylinders and a follower aith instructions. The packages said, why pay for expensive locksmiths. I got a few calls from the customers to repair these rekeyed locks.

Locksmithing will never be a dead industry.

And just one more example, a commercial rental company here got tired of paying 14 bucks to rekey SFIC cores. So they bought a punch and pin kit. They then asked us to "give" them the bitting lists for all of the buildings that they had. Yeah right!

Reply to
John Mallette

I've heard simular comments about those great home hair cutting kits you see occassionally on infomercials. Typically it resulted in more work for the barbers and hairdressers as they try to clean up the mess you've made of your kid's hair.

These rekey kits will likely create more work for locksmiths as they try to repair what these do-it-yourselfers have done. Hmmm, make me suspect that its locksmiths that are secretly selling these kits, to generate business. Smart move guys.

While on the topic of rekeying, whenever you move into a new dwelling its always smart and relatively inexpensive to rekey the locks. You really have no idea of how many keys have been passed out.

Handi

Reply to
Handi

I get 3 or 4 jobs a month from people who bought the rekey kit, exploded the cylinder and just can't seem to get all those pins and springs back in.

Last November I got a call from a lady who had moved into her house 2 years prior and didn't see any need to have the locks rekeyed. She didn't see any need until one morning when she found the former owner's son, a doper, ex con, passed out on her couch with his equally messed up girl friend.

Skip

Reply to
Skip