Electricians - Have an electrical question

Yep. Been in use in the electrician trade for at least 25 or 30 years. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

What if this is being run inside a wall? And there is insulation there?

Reply to
sparty

"sparty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Sparty, Use #4 wire rated for about 70C and you will be fine. I don't have my NEC handy to check which type. The NEC tables list current capacity in free air, basically meaning the wire is hanging in ambient air. You have to derate the current capacity when you put it in an enclosed space, such as a wall. Hence my suggestion to go to #4, which should be plenty safe for 70 amps in a wall.

Reply to
Anthony

It's OK to run NM cable through conduit according to the

2005 NEC. As I understand it, it was prohibited in an earlier edition of the NEC because of a mistake. See 358.22 for EMT, "Cables shall be permitted to be installed where such use is not prohibited by the respective cable articles," and similar wording in other conduit articles.

Conduit used for Romex may need to be larger than if individual wires were run. See Chapter 9, Table 1, Note 9 for percentage fill calculations.

Reply to
Steve

Anthony and Steve thanks.

I have already decided to run #4 wire(4/3 NM-B), since this will be a

70 amp breaker. I will be putting a max load of about 56-57 amps that will hook up to the new breaker panel. I just wanted to make sure #4 wire didn't get hot since it WILL be touching the paper portion of the insulation. I'm assuming that wire doesn't get hot, unless you are running more around 100 amps through it. Can someone confirm my assumption? It will be quite difficult anyhow to run conduit through the finished wall portion.

Thanks.

Reply to
sparty

My copy of the NEC is not the 2005 ed. It's pretty new but things do change. My house plans need to be re-engineered because the code has changed. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow