Elliptical Cam Lock

I am looking for an elliptical cam locking device. This "lock" will be permanently affixed to an interior steel panel and the elliptical locking part will pass through an outside panel that will have a hole that matches the lock profile. When you rotate the lock mechanism the cam action will draw the panels together tightly and the elliptical aspect will keep the "lock" from slipping back through the hole. This will need to be able to hold a ton or more static load but I can gang them together to accomplish this. Before I make one I was hoping I could buy something similar. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Sierevello

Sounds like ordinary window lock hardware.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

Cycle seat pin or axle "quick-release bolt/skewer."

The seat pin ones will hold about an inch of material together, the axle ones will do about 5 inches. They are about 3/16th thick; usually have rolled threads, but you can run a die down them and get whatever length you need. There are boutique versions and cheap ones - the cheap ones are stronger as they don't use aluminium or titanium and tend to have thicker parts (and they're MUCH cheaper - cycle part mfr's are very good at marketing hype and hyped pricing).

If you need to have the outside plate come off without dis-assembling the bolts then you will need a more complicated design - or slots in the plate, maybe you can rotate of slide it after loosening the bolts.

Reply to
jtaylor

You could also consider using toggle clamps that are commercially available in most woodworking catalogues. Pro'lly cheaper too. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Sounds like you're talking about quarter-turn fasteners like those made by Dzus and Southco but I don't think they can handle anywhere near one ton...

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Sounds like a roto-lock , sometimes called a coffin lock. They're used to hold stage sections together. most theatrical supply companies should carry them. Many sound/light companies also use them on road cases, so you may be able to pick them up at your local music store.

Reply to
blutoof

why won't a bolt work?

Reply to
Doug

Have you tried the products from Southco? lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g