Taylor f21 lock

I recently bought a used file cabinet sans key which I promptly carted to the local locksmith to have a key made. It takes a Taylor F21 which he didn't have but promised to order for 15 dollars plus 2 dollars per key. Several months and several calls later, he's still not gotten in the keys and I have finally quit asking. Is there another key that will fit this lock or should I take it to another locksmith to have the lock replaced?

CR

Reply to
Cherokee.Rose

Ah, he said it was rare and so he lied. Thanks for the info.

CR

Reply to
Cherokee.Rose

I would get a second opinion.

Can you see any brand name on the lock?

Are there any small letters or numbers on the lock?

If you were to describe the shape of the lock might it be about 1/2" by 3/4" with rounded ends? Or is it round and about 1"in diameter?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Also, I just checked and it does not appear that Taylor ever made a keyblank # F21.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

exactly.. I am awaiting a snail mail address to send a man 2 Y149 keys, because no one near him stocks them.. it happens.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

If you can't find a blank without a lot of hassle look into changing out the whole lock or having it changed. No little piddly file cabinet lock is worth much effort unless it is some proprietary or semi-proprietary design that is hard to find a replacement for.

Reply to
Steve

Yes, the lock definitely has, "Taylor F21," stamped on it. When I got it home, I found several newspaper clippings from the mid 80's tucked behind the drawers which helped to date it. Thanks again for all the advice.

CR

Reply to
Cherokee.Rose

but what does the keyblank have stamped on it, if anything ?

Reply to
Key

A small point of clarification, Taylor might have made the lock but the blank required for it is not an F21 that would be the code number. (An indirect reference to the blank and the way the blank needs to be cut in order for the lock to work.)

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Taylor F21 is the only bit of info I have with which to find a key blank as the locksmith didn't share the keyblank number with me when he ordered it. I was hoping to find out here so I could look for one m'self.

CR

Reply to
Cherokee.Rose

You never answered my question about the shape of the lock. Most filing cabinets have the push in type in several lengths. These are available at most locksmith shops if the keyblank is not readily available and they are reasonably cheap. Do you know the brand of the filing cabinet?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Oval push button lock with round insert which contains the keyhole. It measures 0.5" x 0.75" on the oval. Cabinet plate says,"Cole Steel."

CR

Reply to
Cherokee.Rose

If the F21 code will tell what kind of key cuts need to be made then why would the locksmith have to determine those?

CR

Reply to
Cherokee.Rose

You have a good cabinet. I suggest that if the next locksmith does not have a blank in stock that he can cut a key for your lock, then do this, remove the top drawer and look at the back of the lock with a flashlight. There should be one screw that goes through the back of the lock sideways across the 1/2" dimension. remove this screw and the lock will come out the front.

Sometimes it is necessary to depress the spring loaded tab in order to remove the lock.

Take this in to the locksmith and you should be able to obtain a replacement lock for $20 or less.

When I replace the lock on a file cabinet I usually take the time to spray some Teflon lube on the mechanism and the slides that support the drawers. With the top drawer out you can spray the lube at the top and let it dribble down a bit. Don't get crazy with spraying as too much will just end up as a puddle on the floor. Short bursts work just fine and allow you to judge the quantity better.

Good luck.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Cole file cabinet.. F21 code.. DOES SHOW a F21 code by Taylor, AND, DOES list the key Ilco 1141F blank

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

then its an Ilco # 1003m blank. very common blank...

Reply to
Key

CR, he probably meant determine from looking up the code.

just bring your "F21 code to a locksmith and tell him its a Hudson/Cole file cabinet. your keyblank will be an Ilco # 1003m. he should be able to come up with the cuts by the code. sorry, can't give you the cuts on this open forum. sure you can understand....

g'luck

Reply to
Key