Enhancing a sled for smooth gliding

What you need is the hill across from my place. It's a road that they don't plow for almost 3 miles. ALL of it downhill!!!

My wife and the rest of the kids in the area used to ride sleds down it a lot. The hill starts off rather shallow and then drops really quick. In a car you can end up at almost 60 mph just coasting. On an icy slope with a runner sled I would bet the speeds would be the same or faster.

Reply to
Steve W.

New York doesn't happen to be one of hte six states that make up New England.

Reply to
Jorge

As much as I like the "old school" type sleds, I think it is hard to beat an inflatable tube-type sled. They are fast, cushion the bumps, and insulate your bum from the cold snow. You can deflate them for storage all summer.

I tend to make things more complicated than they need to be. (I think some of RCM can relate) but the inflatable tube sled is pretty close to a perfect design. Cheap, light, effective.

I applaud you for trying to tweak your sled, but if sledding is the goal, go out and get a couple of tubes.

See you on the hill, Andy

Reply to
andy