Enormous aluminum rods

$3.50 per pound, can make for a $100,000 truckload.

We are hav> Unless it was plated I don't think you can mistake much for copper. No

Reply to
RoyJ

I worked at a CNC shop years ago. We got metal in all sorts of shapes and sizes to be machined into parts. We machine thousands of hydraulic cylinder pistons, out of aluminum. Anywhere from 2-3" in diameter to 10" in diameter. Many other parts to numerous to mention. Cast iron wheel hubs for skid steer loaders. Hex drive shafts for Arctic Cat snowmobiles, Hydraulic valve bodies out of 6" square aluminum. All kinds of brackets for some airplane manufacturer out of 6160 T6. Brass pipe nipples from hex stock. We would get

20 foot bar stock in and run it through a CNC band saw to what ever length then proceed to run it through a CNC mill or lathe to get to the finished part. As we were a job shop we made thousands of parts that we had no clue what they were. Send us a print, we send you back your parts, and a hefty bill. Your 8" aluminum bar stock is far from unusual. It could be for anything. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

I think it was Tyler - one of the cities north of here - had mothballed (lightly) the old hospital after moving to the new one. One never knows when a twister comes where it will hit and how many beds are needed....

So it was sitting there with power internally turned off at the breakers...

Someone called it in - days late - the building was stripped of wire in the walls.

Now that needs to be fixed....

Martin

Mart> $3.50 per pound, can make for a $100,000 truckload.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Having refined precious metals for years, I've enjoyed the colors you describe when calcining palladium salts. Absolutely stunning colors!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Scary stuff. In my house, gas pipes are made of iron, though.

Ignoramus15257

Dollars for donuts they are Extrusion Billets. Leaving them long allows the extruder to saw them to the correct length. Lots of Extruders don't have the facilities to cast their own Billet or they need to supplement their Billet. Extruders with Cast Houses recycle their scrap into new material but some products have to be made from primary Aluminum and that comes from a Smelter. Guys with casting faclities actually adjust the chemistry by doing spectrographic analysis and adding alloying elemnts and flux and bubbling up gas through the molten Aluminum. Pretty wild stuff to watch. A big Extrusion Plant in Ellenville New York is set to close soon and a lot of good people are losing their jobs. Do a search for VAW or Hydro on this Forum and you can read about it.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:22:27 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Shear Pins. For very large shafts on very large machines.

Or they are part stock. I used to turn 12 inch diameter Stainless shafts which were 32 feet long. "Drill Collars" was what the work order said.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich