Finite Element Analysis - Poisson's Ratio 0 to 0.49 - on my fillet weld strength test

I finished my Doctorate having solved not one but two previous unknowns about why the newer High-Strength Low-Alloy Thermo-Mechanically Controlled-Processed steels, then only from Germany and Japan, have properties so advantageous beyond comprehension compared to "classic" C-Mn steels

  • high weldability - most of the time weld with zero precautions (preheat, etc.)

  • highly resistant to "sour" (acidic with hydrogen sulphide) crude oils such at a pipeline can carry quite sour oils without problem

and titled my Doctoral thesis "Hydrogen distribution and redistribution in the weld zone of constructional steels" when the correct/reasonable/informative title would have been "Hydrogen distribution and redistribution in the weld zone of

*structural* steels"

-or "structural and pipeline steels" because no-one was talking with me.

----------------------

"Constructional" is an accepted term if not the most common one. Really the words you use only matter to someone doing a literature search. We took a full semester course on searching for information as well as writing with defined and well-understood terminology, something like legalese.

Your work wasn't lost:
We covered that subject lightly, a chemical engineer would have learned much more. In the 1960's the tools to analyze single-atom surface layers were still in development and the mechanisms of crack formation and propagation were speculative and disputed.

"If hydrogen eases dislocation production, as is indicated by previous observations of hydrogen and liquid metals at surfaces, the finding of easier faster void growth could reasonably be expected to follow."

A chemist's task would be to find a way to measure it.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Be a bit forgiving of these academics. No-one talks with them seriously. The working world tends to be something of a miasma of uselessness anyway compared to what the potential could be, so for anything good to seep in for budding academics to tune into isn't that probable anyway.

--------------------------

Governmental decision makers definitely listen to academics, as unbiased outside experts. The University I attended is quite strong in ocean research and the space program.

Cooperation among government, industry and academia became critical for the technological advancements of WW2, like radar and Ultra, and exposed the dilemma of spending public money on patentable private developments, a larger scale replay of your R100 / R101 social experiment. Conversely industry was/is reluctant to support research their competitors could freely use. This remains a serious issue in medical research, so we have the CDC where my cousin's wife was a senior researcher.

Academia was hoped to be an acceptable alternative but it brought its own problems such as disdain for 'militarism' and commerce and lack of current practical experience. Some of my professors would only work on "pure" theoretical projects with no immediate application and tried to convert us to that ethic.

The solution we settled on was to contract research to private nonprofits established to work on complex multi-disciplinary technical matters.

Mitre's historical expertise was in radio communications and radar, my job was building proof-of-concept hardware for evolving computer-based solutions since I also understood the computer and measurement circuits critical for digital radio.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes - poor academic scientists when their place gets intruded-into by industrial scientists. One threatened to get up and leave the meeting, before looking around and realising we were in his office... (!)

Reality - the US manages its economy and technology and lot, and so must it be. Get it right and you end up with a very activie competitive knowledge-generation activity.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Reality - the US manages its economy and technology and lot, and so must it be. Get it right and you end up with a very activie competitive knowledge-generation activity.

-----------------

In the USA we have public, collective and private management of infrastructure and sometimes threaten to or actually swap between them as an incentive to improve management.

As I see it, the conflict is between efficiency which benefits the high achievers, and fairness to the low achievers. Business seeks efficiency, government fairness, and they aren't compatible. Perhaps the right answer is to keep it fluid to actively maintain a balance.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Yes, that would seem right, according to observation. Example: we have "the British Broadcasting Corporation" (the BBC), and we have independent channels. Either extreme, one model only, would be rubbish. The independent channels have to compete on quality. The BBC has to find audiences.

Reply to
Richard Smith

Yes, that would seem right, according to observation. Example: we have "the British Broadcasting Corporation" (the BBC), and we have independent channels. Either extreme, one model only, would be rubbish. The independent channels have to compete on quality. The BBC has to find audiences.

Some of your BBC and ITV programming appears in the US on the non-commercial PBS network. They also show French and Japanese news in English, and used to run Vremya news in Russian with subtitles. I've been watching the SOKO Potsdam detective (Kripo) series from German ZDF. if I play it back at half speed I can partly understand them.

I remember pirate stations broadcasting from ships. In fact, I remember watching the Queen's coronation on TV.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins