more on fillet weld test

Hi everyone I've continued to "burn the midnight oil" on this. The combination of events, disappearing inwards into this fixation (?) at this time of the "covid19" pandemic in its first winter (Northern hemisphere) plus other events for me, will surely go down as a crazy time with what it gave to me and what it took from me.

Yesterday, no, didn't move on - got Finite Element'ing the "beam-configuration fillet-weld tensile test"

"FEA : beam-configuration fillet-weld tensile test" "trashed" my brain and the entire day doing the FEA simulations and then trying to write about, therefore interpret, the meaning.

There's a single "index page" with all the tests and everything.

"Steel Structural Performance index-page"

I've got a hydraulic cylinder+gauge+cylinder on order, so if I get a chance I can get some reliable measurements.

At work, I was asked why I'm doing all this. Seeing

"Tensile-test rig for beam-configuration fillet-weld samples" and the "bang" reverberating around the building.

Thing is, whenever you measure, in some probing serendipetous path, you find-out. Always has been so.

Specific request - anyone able to tell whether my evaluation of the stress state in the beam-configuration fillet-weld tensile test is good, in

"FEA : beam-configuration fillet-weld tensile test"

Well, best wishes, Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith

I restrain the broken ends with large ratchet load straps meant to bind loads on trucks. Also the D-handle ratchet will apply up to 1000 lbs of pull, enough to drag my pickup truck through a snow bank, so they are tow straps with a built-in winch for self-recovery, though I wouldn't trust them for towing by another vehicle.

I did my youthful off-roading on a dirt bike I could muscle out of waist-deep mud holes, not like my buddy who got his Land Rover balanced on a stump with all 4 wheels off the ground. The club I was in practiced motorcycle Trials to include riding over stumps, boulders, picnic tables etc at balance-challenging low speed. They also raced on frozen ponds, with many of the spectators in leg casts. Some people here also practice the opposite of motorcycles on ice, snowmobiles on water.

I thought it was handy that you could remove a plate to access and repair the Land Rover's transmission from within the vehicle, but disturbing that they knew you might have to. I added such an access plate to my VW Beetle where it greatly helped unbolting the engine and starter for repairs.

My job during and after high school was in the lab of a leather factory that made pump cup seals, flat and round drive belts and traditional leather parts for looms such as check straps. Their chemist was researching synthetic replacements for leather and had a Tinius Olsen tensile strength tester to compare elongation and breaking strength, which I operated.

The machine's mechanical operation was simple enough that I copied the design to raise the head of my sawmill. Two thick vertical lead screws slowly raised the crossbar that held the upper clamp. The tension indicator was a dial spring scale with carbon-piston damping cylinders to reduce the shock of snapping back to zero. The black pointer pushed a separate red pointer that recorded the highest value until reset. I have an abused and hopefully repairable 600# dial tension tester scale in my collection, reputedly from MIT.

I don't know what the machine had for thrust bearings but I've had good luck with greased stacks of alternating steel and brass washers when the load exceeded the PV rating for rolling bearings. On my sawmill the two leadscrews are coupled with bicycle chain and sprockets.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins