Paul K. Dickman

From: Eric R Snow - view profile Date: Mon, Feb 20 2006 3:26 pm Email: Eric R Snow Groups: rec.crafts.metalworking Not yet ratedRating: show options

Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

I have an old procunier tapping head that I got because someone forgot to oil it. That was about twenty years ago. I repaired it and it ran fine until about 10 years ago when the cork clutch lining broke loose from the aluminum center piece. 5 minute epoxy worked to put it back together. Today it broke loose again. The procunier web site sells a new clutch assembly for 58 bucks. I just re-glued the cork back on the center piece. Bet it lasts another 10 years. ERS ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ When yopu sue the tapper do you feel like a Snow tapping macjhien? A Babin & Sons ISO 90000 comlieant job shiop and bebuilder or machineries and such. Custom pool cues and covers for wincter leaf control. kj-mMaRT CASHuer #12 Bristol Conn USA

Reply to
Honest A Babin

It's a number 1 Paul. Too bad, the extra cork could come in handy. Mine has a patent date of 1930 stamped on the brass label. There are two bent pins in it that retain the pin that holds the clutch on the shaft. The newer ones use two screws. It looks like, from their web site drawings, that this is the only change from my ancient one. Good design. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I suspect if you used a more resilient adhesive, it would last forever. Maybe something like gasket sealer or contact cement would be the best.

The problem with mine was some imbecile filled the thing with WD-40! I got a "CNC" model 15000 head on eBay. It ran real hot, so I opened it up, and got DOUSED with WD-40 with graphite! Yuck! I have to clean it out every year or so, when more WD-40 oozes out of wherever it is hiding (maybe in the cork) and the clutches start slipping again.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson