Flower pot furnace question

Hi, I've never casted metal in my life. But I want to try it out. I was looking at this page on building a furnace using a flower pot & charcoal.

Now before I blow myself up, do you think its a good idea? Is it safe?

What is that pipe going into the flower pot? Is it to pump in air or something? Could someone explain to me how the flower pot furnace works in general terms.

The picture I have in my head is just dumping charcoal into a flower pot, putting in a tin can with metal in it and watching the metal melt. Somehow I don't think it'll be that easy....

For starters, where does the sand & cement come into play?

Thanks

Reply to
zalzon

zalzon,

As self-appointed, unofficial furnace review editor for RCM, I am respectfully requesting that our own furnace expert and all around good guy, Tim Williams steps in here. How about it, Tim - comments please.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Eheh. I mean, uhr, PURE BS!! ( :D )

Nope. But it'll get your feet wet (not with aluminum, hopefully!) Point being, it won't last you long... but it'll work.

As safe as the operator.

Ya. Called the tuyere ("tweer").

Er... ya pump in air, it fans the flames and heats up!

Well, you should char the can first because the steel is thin and needs a protective layer of scale so the aluminum doesn't dissolve it (you'll see), but other than that... that is indeed it.

Support, and a little insulation value.

Check my website for more stuffs too.

Tim

Tim Williams

Thanks, Tim! You've earned yourself a free subscription to RCM.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Ok guys, I'm gonna give it a shot.

Please wish me luck.