found a burnerd multi collet set at a tag sale

I went to a tool tag sale and found a burnerd multi collet set that goes from 1/16 to 1" the largest collet is missing one tooth, it also came with the collet holder/closer. It uses a 1-1/2 x 8 TPI mount like my SB 10K. It threads on fine but won't quite seat all the way, it has a spacer ring that looks like it should fit the land on the threads but it might just be a tad to tight. This looks like a nice work holder, the price was $25.00 If anyone can shed light thank you.

Reply to
wayne mak

Charles A. Sherwood

I've recently seen a posted new price of $169.00 *each* (IIRC) for the collets. :-) No clue what the closer costs. It sounds as though you got a deal. Since you have a lathe with 1-1/2x8 spindle thread, see about mounting it and trying it out. It will give you almost all the range that a 5C collet set would, and I think that this has the lever on the workpiece end of the headstock, so you can feed through the spindle the full ID of the spindle -- nothing taken up by a drawbar.

They are supposed to be really nice, but I've never seen one in person. If they are as nice as I've been led to believe, you will probably want to find a replacement for that one broken collet.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You are correct the lever is on the face of the head stock so you have the full diameter of the spindle. after some cleaning it threads all the way down, tight but smooth. It uses 8 collets to spam 1/8 to 1".

Reply to
waynemak

I have a burnerd collect chuck for my rockwell that goes up to 1.5 inchs using EC collets. I bought some other collets on ebay that looked like these in the photo but they are EB collets and they only go up to 1 inch. So my question is: What series do you have??? After receiving the smaller set of collets, I called burnerd and they told me they use to make chucks for them but not anymore. They did tell me that the collets are still made and used in the glass industry. I would love to find a chuck that would work on my Myford S7.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Reply to
waynemak

My rockwell has L00. Myford has a puny oddball threaded spindle. I would make a backplate if I could find a nice burnerd collet chuck for it.

Pretty sure EC is the current series and can even be bought from MSC. I have seen a collet that looked a lot like the EC series . I think it was an MC. It was a different color, had a bigger nose and I think it had more fingers too. I heard there were pretty much interchangable if you modified the collet chuck.

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood