Free - Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy

If you know what this book is, you may know that it sells for $200 on Amazon ($150 from Moore Tool Co.). But the Internet Archive makes it
available online for free.
If you *don't* know what this book is, and you do any accurate machining, this is the story that defined accuracy throughout the world for around 50 years. It's probably the most acclaimed book in the metalworking industry. It was written by Wayne Moore, son of Dick Moore, who invented the jig borer, the jig grinder, and many other extreme-accuracy machines. A light-emission device made by Dick was used by the National Bureau of Standards as the US standard for the meter for years, before lasers.
This book explains how Moore Special Tool (now Moore Tool Co.) built machines that positioned to millionths of an inch, before today's electronics and lasers. It describes self-checking gages (spelling intentional) that deliver millionths of an inch just by checking the gage against itself, or against a duplicate. This, alone, makes it worth reading the book.
I read it four or five times when I was at American Machinist. It gave me a great start in understanding accuracy and accurate machines.
The only thing I see wrong with the online edition is that the photography, which was the standard in the metalworking industry for decades and was shot by a former LIFE magazine photographer, didn't come through in the PDF edition. You can see what's going on, but the original photography is spectacular.
The Internet Archive is a national treasure. You have to sign up and log on, but it's free.
https://archive.org/
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 02:54:59 -0500
<snip>

I've never had to sign up or sign in. Just checked and I still don't. I think you need to if you want to upload content. The book mentioned can be found here:
https://archive.org/details/FoundationsOfMechanicalAccuracy
If you really want to see the best copy you can always look at the raw scan data. Download the jp2 zip file. With that you could actually build your own copy with pdf, djvu (much better format for books)...
Internet archive used to make djvu docs until about a year ago. They were far superior to pdf. Don't know what happened other than I found other people complaining about the loss too. Some docs come from Googles scanning project and really suck. I always avoid those if at all possible...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

That's good to know. If you aren't signed in, are you able to see the collections?
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 08:25:42 -0500
<snip>

Not sure what you mean. I've never been stopped at any point other than uploading stuff. I considered signing up to do that but decided against it.
I also have java script, java and a lot of crap blocked as a general rule...
Give me some links and I'll try to visit them :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

When I log on to this:
https://archive.org/
...what I see is pages and pages of the "Top Collections of the Archive." They're boxed icons, five across, that describe each of the collections. There must be hundreds of the icons. Is that what you see?
It also has a bunch of features for members, trivial things like personal collections and web archives, etc.
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:28:56 -0500

Slightly crunched screen shot with images blocked too:
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/archive-shot.jpg
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Hmm. You have a text list of collections. Here's what I see. The first page is the opening, and the second page is what you see when you start scrolling down. There are pages after pages of these icons:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mz3s5qxrbcjce7j/Internet%20archive%201.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eaitvl9ivv56wv2/Internet%20archive%202.png?dl=0
When you click on a collection icon, I get more pages of icons -- as many icons as are in that top-level collection.
Are you able to scroll down through multiple pages of collections like that?
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 10:33:28 -0500
<snip>

If I enable Java script and images I get the same as your screen shot. With JS off like my screen shot it's just laid out different. Read the top two titles on my screen shot. Same as the icons on your first two starting on the left.

I tried to turn people on to this here years ago, pointing out cool old books that are still relevant. Nobody pays attention to old books...
This is the same site that has the old "Way back machine" too. It's the search at the top of the page. You can find a lot of old defunct websites archived there with a little bit of work and deduction.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Thanks again, Leon. I love the old machining books. I used to have access to the originals at the McGraw-Hill library -- American Machinist had been collecting them since 1877 -- but I don't think they even have them anymore, since they sold AM to Penton Publishing. And there's no way I want to take a 40-minute train ride in to see them, anyway.
So, now I have something for cold winter nights.
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 12:29:08 -0500
<snip>

You're most welcome. You can study my search and build off it. Use the "Advanced Search" page to learn/do more. I've got ~5gb stashed away locally. Most of it came from there through the years via 56k modem. Lathes, Machining, Engineering, Agriculture... lots of old catalogues... Nowadays I have slow DSL so the local copies aren't nearly as important. But stuff on the internet has a way of disappearing...
Here is another search you may like:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A%22Machine-shop%20practice%22%20%20AND%20-scanner%3Agoogle
A really good djvu viewer is:
https://windjview.sourceforge.io/
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

OK, I have to look into the workings of the advanced searches. I see that yours are very useful; I have some other subjects I want to study, too.
The djvu viewer looks good. I'l download it tonight. Meantime, I'm going to download that 331 MB version <GAG!> of "Foundations" and see what the photos look like. I want to pass it on to the editor who replaced me when I retired. I'm glad my ISP just upgraded my connection to 100 Mbps.
This is great stuff, Leon. I appreciate your tips. BTW, did you ever read "Foundations"? It's one of the very best metalworking books I've read. Dick Moore's earlier books are great, too. I'll bet they're availalble on the Internet Archive, eh?
--
Ed Huntress

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 17:28:54 -0500
<snip>

No I haven't. I use my stash like an encyclopedia or dictionary. Pickup little snippets here and there as needed. You might recall I would come up with answers for Rob's "What is it?" on occasion. The well illustrated old books and catalogues were very useful to run down hunches. When certain terms, methods over my head are discussed on the group here I have good material to look it up.
If the books you're interested in are out of copyright and were held by a large library they may be available. Search by title or a couple of unique words from the title work well too. Some of my settings just help reduce the chaff produced from a broader search.
The Archive has started using a more highly compressed pdf format (pdf/A-2 and jp2 compression I think) much of the time that just brings my computer to its knees. It takes several minutes to render a page, which makes the docs pretty much useless for me. Oh well, I gleaned a lot of cool stuff while they were still producing good djvu docs :)
The older djvu docs were quite nice. For instance "Cyclopedia of engineering":
https://archive.org/download/cyclopediaofengi01ameriala/cyclopediaofengi01ameriala.djvu
Which is only ~14mb as compared to the pdf version which is ~26mb
https://archive.org/download/cyclopediaofengi01ameriala/cyclopediaofengi01ameriala.pdf
Pretty nice for a 438 page book with illustrations...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Yeah, it's very nice. I downoaded the reader and I'll look at some more.
Of course, coming from the publishing business, I've been using Acrobat from day one, for authoring and editing, and for print production as well as for online readers. So I recognize what they could be doing with Acrobat and my guess is that they just did a poor job with the photos on that Acrobat copy of "Foundations."
Anyway, it's another useful tool, and thanks again for pointing it out to me.
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 10:18:52 -0500
<snip>

Curious to know if the original scan material is better. I've mucked through some smaller sets of raw data before. You will probably find skewed pages and a few other warts. They show it was scanned at 300dpi. The better looking docs are usually done at 500dpi. Post a little follow up about what you found if you get a chance :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I looked at the JP2 images and they look the same as the PDF. It was in the scanning, probably in the way the grayscale threshholds were set. They look like photostats.
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:34:24 -0500
<snip>

Thanks. I was hopeful but not surprised. I've done some trial & error work with scanning and document creation. It isn't a straight forward process. A lot of the good old material at Archive was done with a Canon 5D camera and 500dpi. You could see the focus shift (fuzzy) as the pages were turned and thickness changed sometimes. I guessing but the operator needed to adjust the focus distance more often...
I can make djvu docs but not of the quality they have. Lizard Tech used to be the djvu vendor:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LizardTech
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DjVu
It broke my heart when Archive dropped making djvu docs :(
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

I haven't done any camera copy work for a while, but I have a 24 Mp camera (Sony NEX-7) and some flat-field lenses for it, including a Micro Nikkor and a Schneider Componon on a bellows. I'll give it a try one of these days.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 13:52:59 -0500
<snip>

None of my digital cameras come close to that :)
You may find this website of interest:
http://www.diybookscanner.org/
They've added a lot more stuff since I last peeked in...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Gee, you have all kinds of interesting interests. If you like that stuff, I should mention that I also have Zeiss and Schneider process lenses for my view camera -- extreme flat-field lenses used in photoprocess and copy work. Before they hired me to write, I did technical photography for McGraw-Hill Publishing Co. I did a lot of off-the-wall technical photo work in those days.
I did silver-masking of 35 mm Kodachromes for them, in my darkroom, charging, IIRC, around $15 each. I ganged them and could do 24 of them in an evening after work, but the jobs only came up from time to time.
Silver masking produces the same result as today's "unsharp masking" filters in Photoshop and Gimp. It was a pretty technical skill. Today, a five-year-old can push a button and do it in five seconds.
It's disheartening to become obsolete. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 14:56:05 -0500
<huge snip>

Yeah, I use to fix stuff, good thing I retired when I did. Still do for friends when I feel ambitious, which isn't often nowadays. Now people replace stuff, even the "repair" guy...
Hope you enjoy poking around in the old books at Archive :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b