Gearbox oil recommendations?

Took a quick look to get an idea on prices, and discovered that there is a rather bewildering array of oils on offer. I'm looking to pick up a couple of gallons of a standard-grade gear oil for my lathe's gearboxes. At a glance, I figure they take about 2qts each.

This is an old machine, so it was never designed with super-high tech lubrication in mind, and even if it was, my wallet can't accommodate a $400 pail of oil!

Anybody have any favorites?

Reply to
Prometheus

Why? I love the Graziano at work. Great machine and easy to operate.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I put SAE 30 in my lathe. The factory oil badge is missing, when I called the US distributor of Lansing lathes, (S & S machinery in NY) they were worthless. Any oil today is far better than any oil spec'd

40-50 years ago.

Never buy an Itailian lathe!!

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Prometheus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Any of the ISO 629/630/630 high pressure gear oils. The difference in the numbers is the operating temperature range. These are not the "thick" gear oils like most are used to.

Reply to
Anthony

I'm not a fan of the SAE 30 oils for machine lubrication. They smell too much and are not thick enough IMHO. More and more I use 90W hypoid gear oil for everything. Seems to make a good way oil also. Off the rack at your local auto store. Not expensive.

Reply to
starbolins

I think SAE 30 motor oil may be thicker than 90W gear oil. I learned this the hard way once. The two oils use different numbering schemes.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 17:07:44 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net quickly quoth:

You LIKE the stench of hypoid gear lube?!? Feh! I prefer skunk.

-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It would take me an hour to type in all the weird quirks this Lansing has. I swear it was the first lathe they ever built, or possibly seen.

Two biggest, all the arrows for selecting speed ranges are backward. and the inch threading choices are marked 3/256, 9/128 or 19/512. and other such weird pitches. I just use the whitworth scale, it's marked in threads/inch.