Get -40C in my fillet weld tensile break tests

Resilient design - make sure that in an extreme event, there's not-a-lot / no abrupt breaking (low energy and structure is lost) and a lot of distributed bending and deformation (high energy, and the structure is still there)... :-)
Job as a welder - repair a height-restriction barrier at a supermarket
"Insert plates" so knocking it over again would be a long energy consuming process. --------------------------------
Around here bollards that are expected to stop vehicles to protect buildings are 4" nominal pipe set in and filled with concrete. 4" pipe is actually 4.50" OD, and I acquired some free 3.5" pipe which is 4.0" OD and was mistakenly cut and painted yellow to be bollards.
The pipe came with an 8' x 10' wooden shed a neighbor bought at a yard sale and brought home on his flatbed equipment trailer. He and his construction-worker friends had used it as rollers to muscle the 2400 lb shed onto the trailer. Then I was enlisted to hoist the shed off the trailer and lower it onto its new foundation. The pipe may be useful as rollers this spring when I move a 4000+ lb oak log off the hillside where it fell and to somewhere flat enough to set up my sawmill.
When I was building custom industrial machinery we muscled as much as 5000 lbs onto the truck. That's about the average weight of a stone in the Pyramids. Customer [XY] had his just-delivered machine up on a forklift when the break time buzzer sounded and the crew just left it there. When they returned the machine had fallen flat on its face and the forklift was standing up on end. I salvaged a bucket of electro-mechanical components like Variacs from the rebuild.
I was in line (queue) at the industrial supply store behind an inventor/engineer who was picking up the 2" ID bearings he had special ordered for the 2" water pipe support on his tracking solar array. He was very unhappy to belatedly discover that 2" pipe isn't anywhere near 2.0" in diameter. I warned him that although the specified OD is 2.375" it isn't truly round unless cleaned up on a lathe, which removes the protective galvanizing.
I machined the thrust bearing for my solar array from stainless plate and turned the ball race grooves with the sharpened back end of a carbide drill bit. The housing is a PVC pipe fitting.
This show why engineers and inventors need good techs. The designer of the Japanese Zero naval fighter complained in his memoir that a wartime shortage of competent technicians seriously hindered the development of its replacement, and their Navy depended on its pre-war design long after US fighters 100 Kts faster had made it a death trap. German designers made the same complaint, and I believe their late-war proliferation of scatterbrained schemes was self-preservation. Towards the end even U-Boot crews were being drafted as infantry for the Eastern Front.

(hoax) Like every secret project it needed a misleading cover story. Segway leaked some whoppers to conceal what we were doing in the lab. To me the detailed description appears to be of a very powerful X-Ray source, a Death Ray against bombers, which unfortunately could only shoot straight up due to its parabolic rotating Mercury anode, Tungsten being too desperately needed elsewhere.
The proof-of-concept demo would of course use visible light, not X-rays.
The special Mercury may have been radioactive waste left from the recovery of Radium metal by electrolysis, and perhaps the basis of "Red Mercury". The round structure above would have held a lens or mirror to aim the beam of X-rays, which is impossible with any known material, but ignorant street-thug Nazi officials wouldn't know that. A convincing zapping demo could be faked using a lens of silver chloride, which does focus equally invisible infrared, and makes a plausible excuse to acquire large amounts of the precious metal in a soft yellow/white form that could be smuggled into Switzerland as cheese.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Resilient design - make sure that in an extreme event, there's not-a-lot / no abrupt breaking (low energy and structure is lost) and a lot of distributed bending and deformation (high energy, and the structure is still there)... :-)
Job as a welder - repair a height-restriction barrier at a supermarket
"Insert plates" so knocking it over again would be a long energy consuming process.
--------------------------
A retired town snowplow driver told me that people who erect very solid steel roadside mailbox stands that don't protect people or property from damage have been asked to remove them before someone dies.
It's a difficult call, and I would make the part that breaks be easily replaceable.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Instead of the research grade propane, the fuel grade propane (R-290) may have around 5% methane (R-50) and butane (R-600) mixed in.
Reply to
bruce bowser
Yes. The methane will do nothing, and the butane will freeze in the condenser. As long as the condenser is large enough, it won't matter.
Joe Gwinn
Reply to
Joe Gwinn
I don't visualize this.
---------------------------------
Boring out the stop in the reducer's small end allows the smaller pipe to pass through the fitting into the larger one, concentrically. I first did this to run a cold water feed pipe through a former heating element hole to near the opposite (lower) side of an old electric water heater tank that I'd converted to solar and mounted horizontally.
It did adequately heat water for laundry without using electricity, but it wasn't worth the fuss versus Cold Water Tide.
Are you ready for California-style electric rates and monthly allocations?

Jim Wilkins
That must mean that the tip end of Narragansett is about the same average temperature as the well known shores of Spain in the summer time.
Wow, images of Spitzbergen are nice. I get words like Spitzbergen and Zugspitze (the highest mountain in German, literally translated as "train peak") mixed up.
Reply to
Transition Zone
That must mean that the tip end of Narragansett is about the same average temperature as the well known shores of Spain in the summer time.
Wow, images of Spitzbergen are nice. I get words like Spitzbergen and Zugspitze (the highest mountain in German, literally translated as "train peak") mixed up.
---------------- Away from the coast the summertime highs here are quite close to Madrid's, 35C and above.
I rode the cable car up the Zugspitze and yes, it's spectacular.
My best memory of European mountains was flying low over the lesser-known Swabian Jura (Alps) between Stuttgart and Augsburg in an Army helicopter with a view straight down. Probably the worst was riding a speeding, tilting van up the winding road to Hohenzollern castle and feeling like we were about to fly off the road and tumble down the steep slope.
Emperor Frederick the Great was there, in a plain wooden coffin on sawhorses in the castle's entrance.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
In order to draw compressed air from the upper level of my inverted propane cylinder storage tank; I bazed a half coupling into the inner end of a reducing bushing (I don't have a welder) and inserted the smaller pipe through a 3/4" "T" and nipple in the threaded boss. The branch of the "T" serves as inlet and drain.
Reply to
Gerry
In order to draw compressed air from the upper level of my inverted propane cylinder storage tank; I bazed a half coupling into the inner end of a reducing bushing (I don't have a welder) and inserted the smaller pipe through a 3/4" "T" and nipple in the threaded boss. The branch of the "T" serves as inlet and drain.
--------------------------
Something like this, in effect?

Jim Wilkins
In order to draw compressed air from the upper level of my inverted propane cylinder storage tank; I bazed a half coupling into the inner end of a reducing bushing (I don't have a welder) and inserted the smaller pipe through a 3/4" "T" and nipple in the threaded boss. The branch of the "T" serves as inlet and drain.
--------------------------
Something like this, in effect?

------------------------------- I vaguely remember cobbling up a fitting that let compressed air into and oil out of a tank that had only one opening, back before I had a lathe. I may have tapped the small end from the inside and cut the two pipes running into it short enough to not meet.

Jim Wilkins
Somewhat similar, but in iron fittings and with the smaller pipe extending through the nipple into the tank.
Reply to
Gerry
By brazing the half of a coupling into the inner end of the reducing bushing, I, in effect turned it into a coupling for the smaller pipe (1/4"IPS, IIRC) with threads on the outside to fit into the end of the 3/4" "T" giving a 3/4" close nipple screwed ito the boss of the tank with a length of 1/4" pipe extending through it up into the tank.
Reply to
Gerry
By brazing the half of a coupling into the inner end of the reducing bushing, I, in effect turned it into a coupling for the smaller pipe (1/4"IPS, IIRC) with threads on the outside to fit into the end of the 3/4" "T" giving a 3/4" close nipple screwed ito the boss of the tank with a length of 1/4" pipe extending through it up into the tank.
I think I get it now. You made the reducing bushing into a coupler for two pieces of the smaller pipe by brazing a second female thread to the back side. I had trouble describing my versions without pictures.
I think the easy way, IF you have a lathe, is to bore out a male threaded fitting or plug larger than the pass-through pipe and solder or braze it onto the pipe, then you can easily adjust the fit up of the pass-through pipe before permanently attaching it. Water pipe ODs don't closely match fractional drill bit sizes.
Instead of trying to chuck fittings directly I screw them onto a brass pipe nipple or machined fitting whose threads run truer to their OD than steel water pipe and cast fittings. The threads of machined steel hydraulic fittings also run true and they can handle more torque than brass.
Another way is to drill out a compression fitting so the tube can pass through. This has the advantage that copper tubing OD is the same as drill bit sizes, 3/8", 1/2" etc, and lathe boring isn't necessary. I did this to replace the thin spray dip tube of garden sprayers with larger copper tubing, to attach a sink spray hose. I drilled out the tank fitting but used a tapered reamer to open up the cap nut which is too small to survive a twist drill bit, and sealed the connection with an O ring. They serve as pre-positioned rapid-response brush fire extinguishers in summer and power outage hot showers in winter, with the water heated on the wood stove, and a handy rinse-off when working out beyond the reach of a garden hose.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Site Timeline