Good reference on steel grades used in firearms

Says it all. What grades are suitable for what applications? Grab that 1.25" round of 1018 and make my own action...

Reply to
Louis Ohland

What kind of action? What type of cartridges? What kind of finish do you want on it when you are done?

Not enough information provided Louis, as there are too many variables.

Best bet is to read what the makers of similar actions are using.

Suitable for a stainless bolt action is not suitable for a color case hardened black powder receiver, etc.

Whatcha hankerin to make?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Trevor, just kidding!

I'm looking now at making a breech block for a Stevens 22LR. Or bushing the firing pin on a .38-55 Winchester 1987 Musket (Model 1885 with different stock...)

I have a healthy respect for the power of confined powder..

For pressure bear> Louis Ohland wrote:

Reply to
Louis Ohland

4140 is a great steel to choose, as long as you are not hoping to color case it.

The last stevens breechblock I bought only cost me $15 from a used parts dealer, so I would not bother, but if it turns yer crank to make it, why not! Some guys have written a fair bit about using the 4140 pre-hard for parts as well. A little harder to machine, but not overly so. There is a lot of really good info over on the homegunsmithing.com site. Well worth the reading.

The old large diameter firing pins are supposed to be quite safe at the pressures that a BP cartridge should be run at, if my sources are to be trusted. Most of the parts on an 1885 were pretty low zoot steel, case hardened at first, then just blued, in later production.

Take a look at the "project" pages. There are some really nice scratch built's there.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Louis Could you clarify those Winchester models, please?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Model 87 Winchester was a Military type trainer based on the 1885 actions.

Most that I see referenced in the books, were .22 cal.

I have the 2 Campbell books on the 1885 single shots. The general gist is that just about anything you wanted, could be got from the factory, if you were willing to pay. But it's been a long time.

"Factory" letters are available for the Winchester rifles, from the Cody Museum, if ya didn't know.

A rebarell?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Doesn't work. Did a search and nothing showed up.

Bernie

DoH! homegunsmith.com

It is the forums section attached to the Roderus Custom Gun site.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

As has been surmised, the 1885 "High Wall" and the related "Low Wall" formed the basis for the 1887 Musket, which was a training rifle. The particular gun is a coil spring model.

The 1887 in this case was rebarreled to a .22 Hornet. Unfortunately. the firing pin is the blackpowder diameter (like .120 IIRC) and it really craters the primer. The firing pin does not penetrate the primer, but it raises a rim around the circumference of the pin strike.

My Dad wants to remove the large p> Model 87 Winchester was a Military type trainer based on the 1885 actions.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Reply to
Louis Ohland

================== Consider what steels were available and used for the original parts.

Most of the steels we now have available are far better and more consistent than the originals with the [possible] exceptions of re-bar and hardware store MS [merchant stock not mild steel] rods and bars.

IIRC American Rifleman had an article on old gun steels some years ago and concluded most of them were low carbon steel, although some had extensive case hardening for wear resistance.

Still, given the amount of time you will invest in an action, why not use the best? The cost of material will be only a small part of what you have invested when you include your time.

4140/4150 and possibly "stress-proof" [1144 & possibly 11L44] pre-hardened would be good choices. for some examples click on
?gclid=CJfAw4vU2pACFQolHgodWy2UPA

tooling info

Avoid heat treatment that results in brittleness, i.e. glass hard through. Some of the old Springfield receivers had this problem when nickel steel was new. If you have a problem you want things to "give" not "shatter"

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Well, Trevor I've got more than a few Winchesters and all of my Model 1887s are lever action shotguns and my muskets are either 1885 or 1895.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I don't think so, Louis. Winchester Model 1887 was a lever action shotgun of which I have several.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Louis Ohland

LOL, My goodness, Louis, you had to go offshore to a country, where basically, guns are outlawed, to get someone to back your dopey assertion. How about a quote from someone reputable? How about a quote from Watrous or Madis?

I've got to go shift a machine, I'll be looking forward to your response. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Gee, Tom, I don't see you as a contributor to "The Winchester Single-Shot - A History and Analysis" by John Campbell. Page 149-164. ISBN: 0-917218-68-X

If you want to get wound up over model names, what's it to ya? The proper name is the Model 87 Musket, based off the 1885 high wall. Which such an erudite individual such as yourself knows. Someone that can't point me in the right direction doesn't strike me as someone that knows what he is talking about.

Sound and fury, signify> LOL, My goodness, Louis, you had to go offshore to a country, where

Reply to
Louis Ohland

One of the arms I sold in 2000, to save my home, was an 1887, lever action shotgun.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Oddly enough, Winchester did make a 20ga based on the 1885. One known specimen of a 28ga exists as well.

Always did like the lever acti>>

Louis Ohland