Google groups down since Aug 1

Or is it just this group? Google is the only way I can access during the day, and I kinda like it.

Reply to
Rex

Yup. The outage has been a big deal on rec.bicycles.tech since July 30.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I hope Google Groups is gone for good. I wonder if I'm the only one.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

If google groups is gone for good, there goes all search capabilities for newsgroups in general. Gawd, I miss DejaVu...

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The execution was less than perfect, for sure. We may never know the challenges they are up against in repackaging USENET like that.

I'm concerned that without a powerful corporate sponsor, USENET might continue it's decline.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It's back up. Maybe they got hacked ;)

Reply to
Rex

Usenet has been dying since long before Google started stealing (NOT "sponsoring") it. I'm sure it'll still be dying 20 years from now.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

(...)

May that process continue at this same rate. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

"Google Groups" was originally an archive that did not allow direct posting. They added the ability to direct post but their latest go has weakened the utiility as an archive tremendously. And now it's not even that if they've lost two weeks of posts.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Interesting. An xhtml 1.0 page using an .svg suffix.

This is the actual svg:

bet you can't see it in Seamonkey 2.0.11.)

As to the content. It claims to represent posts per day and parenthetically GB per day. It can't be both. I'd bet on GB per day.

The NUMBER of posts is probaby going down while the volume of binary content is going up. The data is from alltopia and they do carry binaries after all.

Thanks for that link btw. :-)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

(...)

(I bet you can't see it in Seamonkey 2.0.11.)

That is much prettier than the link I cited. Thanks! Looks great in Seamonkey 2.0.11. (That'll be 0.1 'RCM Attaboy'.)

A safe bet. :)

Clarification:

I DAGS but wasn't able to get a handle on the sheer number of USENET posts v. volume.

Sometimes fewer posts are better. Of the top 20 RCM posters, 8 live in my plonkfile. The remainder are a continuing source of compelling information and inspiration.

Soitny. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

They haven't lost them. They just didn't display them until today.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

> (I bet you can't see it in Seamonkey 2.0.11.)

Interesting. Seamonkey doesn't render inline svg stuff in an HTML5 doc, so I figured it just wasn't svg capable at all. Opera is like that too (though Opera handles certain other HTML5 tags that no other browser does).

I'm working through the HTML5 elements in a test page as I get round tuits. Neither Opera, nor Seamonkey render the shapes I have there, while Firefox 5 and 6b do it flawlessly, and Firefox 7a and Iron 12.x (Chrome) do it, but oddly.

At html5test.com Seamonkey 2.0.11 scores 165 out of

450 plus 4 bonus points.

Without looking, I'll guess 6 live in mine.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

That one's actually a png file. Here's the svg:

Steve Ackman

(...)

I often run into web incompatibilities using Seamonkey. Unfortunately, the most important incompatibilities are also present when I run Firefox (which is specifically cited on some incompatible sites as being compatible!)

(...)

You are a very patient guy.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Farkin' broken URLS, I swear...

one includes the last 9 characters.

Yeah, it's really dying, isn't it?

5Gb in '97, 8,000Gb in '011, with increases every single year.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

16 were in mine, and I LIKE it that way. I miss Gunner's good posts, though. But he's in there for the far, far too many reTrolls.