Got a Left Hand Cut End Mill

My new endmill came in today. I've had a couple problems with stuff rotating on the dividing head under cutting load, making a mess. I diagnosed the problem as cutting forces causing the chuck to unscrew. Wish I had held out for the Hardinge taper head instead of the old threaded unit.

I'm going to try a LHC end mill to see how that works. I wired up the original controls as signal inputs to the VFD, so reverse now works via the VFD. Here's hoping...

Of course, a milling cutter on an arbor is easy to reverse. Just stick it on the arbor the other way. I just don't have a cutter large enough in diameter for this job, and they're expensive.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Pete Keillor fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just put a leaded fixing screw in the chuck thread-on area (even if you have to angle-drill it).

There's no reason for a chuck to unscrew, if you've "thumped" it tight, unless the threads are pretty badly worn. If so, install a locking screw

-- and use the lead insert to prevent thread damage to the spindle nose.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Good idea, Lloyd, I'll have a look at the back side of the chuck.

Up until the current project, most of my use of the dividing head was with 5C collets, so no problem.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor