Got the mill home safely

The mill is sitting in my trailer in my driveway. No major (or minor) damage occurred. Interestingly enough, there was a discussion a while ago about whether the axle u-bolts of my drop axle were too close to the frame (about 2"+). I checked, the paint on the frame looks like the U-bolts never touched the frame, despite various bumps that I encountered today.

I drove VERY conservatively and, no doubt, annoyed a lot of drivers following me.

I tied the mill with four 2" tie downs crisscrossed. It did not even move. The riggers were nice and my tip was very helpful.

I wonder if I should do anything to prevent the lunette ring from bumping into my hitch when I start moving with my trailer. Like some manila rope wrapped around the shank of the ball etc.

Ignoramus24595

That loud clank and the slight shove on the vehicle as forces start or change direction (starting and stopping, going from uphill to downhill, every little bump and pothole) is just a helpfull reminder that your trailer is still there, an audible warning to leave extra room when passing and not back up without looking to see where the trailer is going. Without that clunk, you may be tempted to forget! The easiest way to quiet it down is to get where you're going and load up! If it's still clanking around like that fully loaded, then maybe you don't have enough weight on the hitch... ;) --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Screw 'em. You're making sure your load doesn't end up in their lap.

I just deal with it. Enough weight on the tongue & it shouldn't bang too loudly. Added bonus of a pintle style hitch is ease of coupling. When backing, I align landmarks on the trailer with the side of the truck. I know the tongue is at the right height from un-coupling. Beep, beep, scrape, thud.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

You made some good points. What I am worried about is that this clanking puts undue strain on the welds of the trailer.

Ignoramus1983

Yep.

Yes, I love the lunette coupling, it is so much better than ball coupling, it is undescribable.

Ignoramus1983

Although you say you can't describe it, what way do you feel the lunette is better on a light trailer like that? Larger pintle hitches have an air piston that takes up the slop in the hitch although for low speed maneuvering the air should be released. Steve

Reply to
Up North

I like it because it is easier to hook up than ball coupling.

Ignoramus1983

Drivers annoyed near where you live. What is new. Consider it karmic payback for when I had to go though the overloaded pay tolls as the locals cruzed through the ezpass lanes when I brought my mill home though your state recently.

The important thing is that you were not annoyed by having to pick your mill up off the road bed.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

... or by having to scrape somebody's brains off my mill...

Ignoramus1983

The ones that follow THAT close don't have any brains in there.....:)

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools