Thank you RCM

I just wanted to thank you all again for your patience and guidance over the past four or five months. Although I'm still a nooB with lots of dumb questions ahead, with your help I've solved most of the problems and am becoming a lost-wax casting machine! Isn't it awesome that we live in a time where a person can wake up one day and decide to learn something new (like silversmith), spend a couple months on the web and at RCM researching/asking questions and actually achieve it? I still have never seen anyone cast metal nor do I know any metal/silversmiths. My wife is amazed at what "I" have accomplished but what I tell her is without RCM I'd of been DOA.

So far: I've made several nice molds (but still use RTV for lack of vulcanize). Making wax-patterns with a better than 50% usable pattern rate. Have the invest/burnout down cold (or hot as it were). Am successfully casting in fine and sterling. Have a new home made burner rig that allows much more flexibility and volume. And am able to perform finish work that (appears to me at least) is yielding professional results. So....much....fun!

Here's a few pics of my temporary *draft* burner setup for review/critique/fun. I call her Ugly Betty, you'll see why. She'll be mounted safely to an adjustable steel frame by this weekend (but have an order to fill today =)

Note the pics are hi-res 800x600 approx 250k each, not for dial-up.

Basic setup:

Full throttle:
About to temporarily de-value .999 silver bar
Happily molten (not sure if flame is positioned right):
End result (sold on eBay):
Have a good one all and thanks again.

=B

.
Reply to
Ben

bar

right):

Ben: Are you spin casting or just pouring the metal? Give us more details. The burner is really great. Where are you?

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

Mike,

Hey thanks man. If you could see the pile of unused and scrap I went through to finally get it write you'd chuckle.

Actually I use the most dangerous (but cheapest) method, steam casting. I use a pickle jar lid attached to a wooden broom handle and with 8 layers of paper towels cut to form and wet. Pour then apply and hold the steam pressure quickly but carefully. Very consistant results now but took a while to get the knack.

In Overland Park, KS

Take care,

=B

Reply to